Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, I am back from my second half-day (mid afternoon to dusk) salmon fishing trip to Vieira's on the lower Sacramento Rive just above Rio Vista and below Isleton, where it turns off the ship channel.

This place is easy to reach off Highway 160 and has a decent launch ramp that puts you on the salmon fishing water immediately. I have seen 1 kayak on the bank. It looks like any easy place to drift, back-bounce, and slow troll from a kayak.

Here is the spot:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll ... 0282&spn=0. 0222,0.022874&t=h&om=1

I tried to pay attention to the occasional depth information my friend gave during fishing at Vieira's, with an eye to kayak fishing there. I attached a poor photo of the "map" I came up with. It is probably wildly inaccurate - not the point - but if I get it right, I still am not clear how best to fish this area for salmon.

The area is basically wide straight runs with wide turns between high levee walls. Near the "mouth" by the ship channel and many places on the side it seems to be a largely smooth bottom 12 - 20 feet deep depending on tide with sparse water weeds. There are some deeper areas ranging up to 30 feet deep depending on tide which also seem to be smooth bottomed. I have considerable trouble (cannot) keeping lures in touch with lthe bottom in the deeper spots.

Boats are trolling everywhere. Few fish are being caught. I see no rhyme or reason to the trolling patterns except to avoid other boats. I see Silvertrons, wiggle warts, spoons, flashers, etc. being used with no dominant lure in use. I see every speed from dead slow to about 4 miles per hour.

I have had two nice boat rides. How should I begin to make sense of this type and location for salmon fishing?

Should I focus on the center of the deeper spots? The upstream and downstream edges of the deeper spots? The area where the levee banks meet the bottom?

Should I wait for the fish to tell me?

Any general guidelines would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Thanks.