Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rivers and the pa14
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A few questions about the pa14. I've read a few reviews on the pa14 in rivers, how is the md up river? ive only read about how great it was going down river. On a river like the Kaskaskia in illinois (10 min from my home) could one navigate up and down river without excessive effort? secondly how do you launch w/o damaging the md fins and rudder?
I've been watching a kayak fishing show on the outdoor network and it has me wanting to trade in my basstracker for a kayak. I've read post suggesting to others that they "test drive one". Where can you test ride a kayak? I'm located in IL about 45 min east of St Louis. thx

Post subject: Re: Rivers and the pa14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't personally taken a PA upstream, but I bet it is easier than the canoe I did go upstream with. As far as entering and exiting the river without damaging the MirageDrive and rudder, it is the same as a any other entry from a ground landing. The rudder has a pull cable to fold it up into the kayak, and the Mirage drive is removable, and drops in with ease, as so as you are deep enough to use it.

I am getting rid of my Jon Boat as soon as I get back from Afghanistan and buying a Hobie. As long as I still have both legs, my motor will never break down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thx, I did find some post where boaters took trips upstream. one in particular was a group of all hobie craft that went up the Colorado river. I'm pretty much sold on this boat. cant wait for spring :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

That would have been Black Canyon. Groups from Hobie Cat do that every year!

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=23613&p=102855&hilit=Black+Canyon#p102855

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found that to pedal a PA upstream is no big deal. While I don't fish rivers, I do fish strong tidal currents. Going against the outgoing tides has not been a problem.

Find a local Hobie dealer. Surely there is a good one in St. Louis (45 mins) ? Most dealers will let you demo the Hobies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've found a local dealer. they do offer test rides. Winters got that on hold . I plan on a test ride and purchase come spring.

Do you fellas use the park n poles? I see the hobie is considerably shorter than the yak attack. these seem ideal for structure fishing, but is a 9' pole a hassle to transport or use ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lots of folks down here use the longer SOP's as a push pole when on the flats. The one I have used for years is 6 feet. If I didn't already have this and was purchasing a new one, I would probably go with the longer length.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The main drawback of the Mirage Drive is the inability to move backwards. That can be a severe (even dangerous) handicap in moving water. ESPECIALLY moving water with submerged rocks.

That said, the Kaskaskia is about the nearest thing to still water that a river can get. (I grew up in Belleville.) I think a Prangler would be just about ideal. The hard part is deciding between a 12 and a 14.

As noted above, you launch with the rudder up and the drive unit either out or held with the fins against the hull. Paddle out, drop the rudder and install or release the Mirage Drive. Go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CajunPete wrote:
A few questions about the pa14. I've read a few reviews on the pa14 in rivers, how is the md up river? ive only read about how great it was going down river. On a river like the Kaskaskia in illinois (10 min from my home) could one navigate up and down river without excessive effort?

I've had my PA 14 on the Illinois river in various places between Channahon and Peoria, and never had a problem pedaling up-river - with one exception. That was on Wightman lake (a backwater of the Illinois near near Lacon). The wind was very strong from the north that day (waves constantly breaking over the bow), and recent floods had the water up higher than normal. We crossed the river into the head of Sawyer Slough, not realizing that the current into the slough was very strong. We had to peddle like mad for awhile to get back out onto the river proper. Once back in the normal river current all we had to contend with was wind. The waves were actually quite fun!

I put close to 75 miles on the Illinois River last summer, though, and that was the only day where I had any difficulty with the current. I've also been on the Rock River in the area of Castle Rock State Park. The current is a bit faster there, and we had to work somewhat hard to go upstream.

I'm a big guy and not in great shape, but I can easily maintain 2.5-3 mph with the Mirage drive pretty much all day long. So any current less than that is workable.

Now, the Kankakee river, that one flows pretty fast. I don't think I'd even attempt it in the Pro Angler, unless I had a motor or sail.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A Mirage Drive works fine on a river which is consistently deep, but is risky on a river which is rocky or has rapid shallow areas. You could seriously mangle your Mirage Drive if you hit a rock or a gravel bar with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've bent the fin shafts on my revo's drive a number of times hitting submerged hard junk in murky shallows. Both the standard and turbos. It was very easy and simple to remove the shafts and straighten using a vice. In my opinion the shafts will bend long before something else bad breaks, assuming one doesn't keep hammering the pedals during the episode.

This is a fix anyone can do, very easy.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mnormand wrote:
I've bent the fin shafts on my revo's drive a number of times hitting submerged hard junk in murky shallows. Both the standard and turbos. It was very easy and simple to remove the shafts and straighten using a vice. In my opinion the shafts will bend long before something else bad breaks, assuming one doesn't keep hammering the pedals during the episode. This is a fix anyone can do, very easy.

I've bent mine, too, and I agree about the fix. Heck, I've even done related repairs on the water.
I currently have a slightly bent shaft on my Mirage drive, and while I had intended to replace it, I'm not so sure now. It works just fine, and the $20 or whatever could be better spent on lures or accessories.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RockyRaab wrote:
The main drawback of the Mirage Drive is the inability to move backwards. That can be a severe (even dangerous) handicap in moving water. ESPECIALLY moving water with submerged rocks.

That said, the Kaskaskia is about the nearest thing to still water that a river can get. (I grew up in Belleville.) I think a Prangler would be just about ideal. The hard part is deciding between a 12 and a 14.

As noted above, you launch with the rudder up and the drive unit either out or held with the fins against the hull. Paddle out, drop the rudder and install or release the Mirage Drive. Go.

Actually the Mirage drive can go in reverse. You take it out, turn it 180 degrees and install it backwards. Shouldn't take longer than a few seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've found that the MD's are very forgiving... should have taken a picture of the last boo-boo I had. Bent rod almost to a 90, tore fin and it actually pulled partially off of rod... felt real squishy on the stroke... tapped rod back into a sorta straight line and remounted fin... little rubber glue and still stroking 6 months later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jokers10 said:
[quote]as soon as I get back from Afghanistan and buying a Hobie. As long as I still have both legs,[quote]

This is really off the subject, but even though I'm late in noticing your post, I wish you a safe stay, and good health when returning from Afghan.
AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags