Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning! :D
After you have done a good number of issues with my Revo 13 I came to the conclusion that the new and useful compilation of the Hobie for the headquarters of the transducer leaves something to be desired in terms of the protection system and fixing the transducer .... either because surely there will be a loss of signal and you want because it can build up inside the material and dirt without notice.
Here's what I found while kayaking and always rinse after two outputs from the port and therefore no sand:

And then ...... after talking with a friend of mine, I decided to make a small change using plexiglass with a thickness of 5 mm and aluminum corners.

After mounting, I realized that because of a non-planar abutment seat risked ruining the plexiglass on the bars during the loading and unloading of the machine ....... and then I siliconed it all! :wink:

After the sea trial there has been no problems! :)

That's it, I hope it can be helpful to someone who may not have a car very powerful and maybe accepted recommendations to improve this solution. :wink:
Sorry for the language .
..... Ad Mayora
Nicola !!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is some useful info, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been very satisfied with the transducer pocket in the bottom of my Revolution. It completely protects my transducer, and my fish finder works very well.

However, I hadn't thought about the possibility that sand or mud could build up on the black cover for the transducer pocket and reduce the effectiveness of the transducer. Now that I've seen your pictures, each time that I get off the water I'm going to throw some water into the transducer pocket in order to wash out any sand or mud.

It seems like an easier solution would have been to cut a hole in the original cover, rather than making a new cover. A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pmmpete wrote:
A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

Shouldn't reduce the effectiveness any more than if the transducer was attached to an 18' aluminum boat. The transducer, if it's working correctly, transmits sound pulses downward and receives the upward reflected pulse, the transmitter/receiver is pointed down.

The only possible issue I can think of is that the open space at the front and under the transducer may have a flow of water through them that may create bubbles that would interfere with the transducer pulses. With transducers mounted on the stern of a boat, which is not an uncommon place to mount them, sometimes the bubbles from the boat's propeller can cause poor readings. Since you've tried it and don't have any problems, no reason to worry about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronbo613 wrote:
pmmpete wrote:
A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

Shouldn't reduce the effectiveness any more than if the transducer was attached to an 18' aluminum boat. The transducer, if it's working correctly, transmits sound pulses downward and receives the upward reflected pulse, the transmitter/receiver is pointed down.

The only possible issue I can think of is that the open space at the front and under the transducer may have a flow of water through them that may create bubbles that would interfere with the transducer pulses. With transducers mounted on the stern of a boat, which is not an uncommon place to mount them, sometimes the bubbles from the boat's propeller can cause poor readings. Since you've tried it and don't have any problems, no reason to worry about it.

Perfect !!! :wink:
In fact, one of the air bubbles was my only question that apparently there ....... also why we do not go to high speeds like a boat.
However, if I have problems you will be the first to know! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Man that a great idea to fix a problem .You would think that once you was in the water it wash the sand out . You should patent it Ha Ha . Thanks for sharing