Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to install a transducer in-hull on a 2013 Outback. Mainly because I have a good trailer for the kayak and I do not want to keep readjusting the transducer. I have looked through some of the forums, but I have yet to find a good recommendation for the adhesive. To date, I have heard of different products from a few people. Marine Goop via epoxy. I did not know what people have used in the past. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've used Marine Goop to put a transducer on the inside of my Revo11 hull. Works fine, but remember (a) its permanent, and (b) apply the goop slowly to avoid air bubbles.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 am 
Hobie Team Member

Last one I did I used duct seal.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-foru ... on-a-kayak

I did mine a bit different that what is shown on the video.
* Used foam to make a wall approx. 1/2" high with a slightly larger inner dimension than the transducer.
* Glued wall in place with GOOP. Allowed to dry overnight.
* Placed duct seal in sun to let it warm up.
* Selected desired amount and kneaded it for several minutes to remove bubbles.
* Put a 1/4" - 3/8" layer of duct seal in the bottom of the "well" that made with the foam.
* Connected transducer to sail mast holder thing-a-ma-bobber (Hobie) with a zip tie that I tightened mostly but not fully. Not yet. I wanted it to slide the transducer down the sail mast holder thing-a-ma-bobber accurately and neatly as the transducer was pressed into the duct seal. Once it was seated I carefully finished tightening the zip tie and snipped off the excess.

It's been working fine for about 1.5 years.

Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I now use a well made of duct seal and squirt water in on each trip. This works well for me since I move the transducer back and forth between two kayaks (Hobie Outback and Nucanoe Frontier). Here is a pick of the well inside of my Frontier:

On both kayaks I just run the battery and transducer wires out the front hatch. Here is a pick of my FF on the outback.

Another advantage of this approach is that you can't trap air bubbles and reduce your sensitivity. At first I had used foam pucks that were gooped down, but they fell off after a couple of years. The nice thing about the duct seal is that you can repair it on the spot. Just push it back down to restick it.

Best of luck.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use silicon, bought big tube (gun type) and wasn't bashfull - clean areas to be glued together well with acetone (not to heavy) lightly rub - take your time, go slow- butter the transducer with silicon, get out all bubbles and smoosh (technical term) into place - let sit about 3-4 days. it CAN be removed if need be - done three yaks like this over last 10 years or so... never had a problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've run the marine goop, after a few years it eventually peeled free (we get temperatures from 10-120 degrees here, which didn't help). My last in-hull setup used the duct seal method, but on those super hot summer days that stuff will soften up and can become quite a mess. If I planned on keeping the yak a while, I'd do the Marine Goop again. The Lowrance plate on the new boats sure is nice!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lexel. My transducer has been in my kayak for more than five years.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use Boatlife Life Seal, works perfect. I had a problem with the Goop and Duct Seal.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Electrical duct seal is the BEST. Less than $5 at home depot. No need for foam, glue, epoxy, goop... Roll it into a ball and press your transducer into it without any air in between. Press the excess against the side of the transducer and that's it. It will outlast all other applications and is basically water proof.

I've been using duct seal for several years and only replaced it when I purchased a new kayak. If you want to remove it, a putty knife and some goo gone will do the trick.

You will be wasting your time with any other method.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captain Yak wrote:
Electrical duct seal is the BEST. Less than $5 at home depot. No need for foam, glue, epoxy, goop... Roll it into a ball and press your transducer into it without any air in between. Press the excess against the side of the transducer and that's it. It will outlast all other applications and is basically water proof.

I've been using duct seal for several years and only replaced it when I purchased a new kayak. If you want to remove it, a putty knife and some goo gone will do the trick.

You will be wasting your time with any other method.

Ditto here. Takes seconds to install, can use immediately, acts as though it is permanent, but it's easily removed. I throw my Outback on it's top after every trip, and haul it around in my pickup down rough roads. The transducer has never come loose. Wouldn't use anything else.