Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After coming home with my first yellowtail and bringing some into work to share with my coworkers one of my buddies asked me to take him out and see if he could get a yellow.

He hooked 2. We lost the first to sea lions after it wrapped itself in the kelp. The second, I was able to gaff my first fish (after 3 atempts) and he got to take home his first yellow. Caught on our last bait on our way back in.

First was hooked on a greenback around 11:30. Second on a spanish around 4.

He was so pumped after catching the yellow. I put a video together of the trip. Make sure to check out the last 15 seconds or so to see just how excited he was. Fighting that fish definitely got the adrenaline flowing

http://youtu.be/tPN0SHCrlao

Going back out with him on Tuesday hoping to catch another!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice catch!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your friend looks stoked. My wife caught her first Yellowtail out of a hobie outback off Dana Point a month ago. We have been using the Outback for over 4 years and need more room. Not too interested in the tandem Pro Angler. How do you like the tandem Island for fishing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

straightrod wrote:
Your friend looks stoked. My wife caught her first Yellowtail out of a hobie outback off Dana Point a month ago. We have been using the Outback for over 4 years and need more room. Not too interested in the tandem Pro Angler. How do you like the tandem Island for fishing?

Its amazing. We launch through the surf down in La Jolla and its very stable. I just went out on Sunday with another coworker and got some more yellowtail.

With two fit people we average 3-4mph with just one outrigger. Its amazing at sailing also. I definitely think its Hobie's best kayak. The only down side to it is the weight and I would highly recommend a trailer.

I want one of the 2015's now with the new seats and Lowrance ready setup. I'll probably upgrade when the used ones hit the market. $6200 + tax is pricey and you still (in my opinion) need to get a trailer $$$.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Beautiful place to fish! We fished out of Dana Point in August and had a blast. Hooked up with a few yellowtail but the large cute mammals weren't allowing us to keep them :roll: The Vermillion bass were fun and delicious though. Next time there I will for sure hook up with a kayak charter. Thanks for posting the video.