Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Outback
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just put away by yak until next year. First year. Great year fishing. Lots of stripers. My OB performed great. I mainly fish in the ocean, LI sound USA. My buddy has a adventure. His yak is faster but I catch more fish from my OB. Easy to turn and very stable\etc. He gets wet I don't and I get fish.

I have read a lot of posts about weight. I'm 5 7 155. I have not had any problems at all in the yak. I did add about 25 pounds in a sand bag in the middle hatch. It did help. I am so happy I didn't get the sport. If you are my size, get the OB.

I have been toying about getting the new 2007 OB. I have read some reviews about it allowing a lighter person use it. I am afraid it won't be as stable as my OB. I did use another friend's revolution. It was not as stable as my yak. Little faster but who cares when you are fishing in the ocean. More fish again.

I'm thining about the turbo fins. It probably would have helped in some big waves 4-5.

Post subject: Stability
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:50 am 
Site Admin

The 2007 Outback is much more stable for all weights than older models.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Turbo upgrade would increase your speed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Popeye - I'm about 10# heavier, recently made the switch from an '06 to '07 OB, and love it. With me, the '06 flopped back and forth from one outboard pad to the other, and I found that got annoying after awhile. I don't get any of that with the '07. The inboard area around the well is also much drier in the new boat. Obviously, it's floating higher, just not sure why.

I also prefer the rear deck storage in the new model. That's strictly personal preference, but the recessed cooler area immediately behind the seat didn't do a lot for me. The new deck is more expansive and fits my needs better. You can't go wrong with either, but IMHO the '07 is a major improvement. 8)

Post subject: OUTBACK 2007
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HEY POPEYE AND JERRY,

I'M 5'8" AND 175LBS, AND I JUST BOUGHT THE '07 OUTBACK AND LOVE IT. I SPENT FOUR WEEKS GOING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE OUTBACK AND THE REVOLUTION. I WASN'T SURE WHETHER I WANTED MORE SPEED(REVO) OR A BETTER FISHING PLATFORM AND STABILITY. I DECIDED ON THE OUTBACK W/ TURBO PEDALS. NOW I HAVE BOTH SPEED AND STABILITY. I ALSO TRIED THE '06 OUTBACK SIX MONTHS AGO AND FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO FLIP. THE '07 IMHO IS MUCH MORE STABLE, EVEN FOR US LIGHTER GUYS!

BEN :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, the newer '07 model is less stable than the prior Outback versions on anything other than flat water.

Take a sheet of plywood and toss it in the drink. Now toss a log in there next to it. On flat water the plywood will be super stable, but get a chop or some swells going, and watch it try to conform to every motion of the water. You'd play heck staying on it as it rocks and rolls.

But the log will just rise and fall in the chop and the swells. It won't rock and roll like the large, flat piece of plywood will. It just goes up and down.

I've tried the new '07 against my '05. The "05 model is much more stable in any sort of chop or swells. The '07 is more stable on flat water, but unless you're fishing a small pond, you don't find that much flat water around. At least I don't.

The '07 may "feel" more stable, but it's not. The older models might have "felt" tippy, but they weren't.

Not that you won't like the '07, but in rough water give me the older model every time. I'm sticking with my '05.