Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

I'm looking for picture of Outback 2015 hull taken from front, to see where's sonar cavity and if the waves of side-imaging can spread in water and not thru the hull.

A big thanks in advance. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check the installation manuals for the fish finders you are interested in. I think you'll find that the transducer for a side-imaging fish finder needs to be installed below the level of the keel, or behind the stern, so the sonar signals can beam out to the sides. So a side-imaging transducer won't work properly if you install it in the transducer pocket of an Outback or a Revolution. You'll need to mount the transducer on a boom attached to the side of your kayak which is long enough to hold the transducer below the level of the keel. On a Pro Angler you can mount a transducer behind the stern, but on an Outback the rudder would interfere with mounting a transducer behind the stern.

You could consider leaving the cover off of the transducer pocket, and making a transducer mount which could be used to lower the transducer into the water, below the level of the keel, once you were out in the water. But you'd need to be careful to raise the transducer into the pocket before coming into shore, or you could damage the transducer and its mount by hitting it on the bottom. If the transducer snagged weeds, it would be difficult to remove them when you were on the water. You'd need to lie on your stomach at right angles to the kayak and reach under the kayak with your arm to remove the weeds.

Don't try to mount the transducer on your rudder. Side imaging sonar sends sonar signals out at right angles to a boat. If you move in a straight line and at a steady speed, the sonar display will show a pretty accurate representation of bottom features and fish which you have passed. If you turn gradually to the left, the display will show the bottom features stretched out on the right side of the display, and compressed on the left side of the display. I f you turn left sharply enough, the beam may go back over features on your left side which you passed earlier. Because of this, if you mount your transducer on your rudder, every time you turn the rudder to correct your course, you'll distort the way that bottom features are displayed, and the side imaging display will become difficult to interpret.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you for (long) response, I know how side imaging works.

It's possible to put into cavity if the hull at this place is a V or a round. You just have to put some polyuréthane mastic like that:

what I need to know is where are the two floats siding the middle one... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you install a side-scan transducer in the transducer pocket of an Outback, let us know how well it works. I'd like to get a fish finder with side-scan sonar, but I really like the convenience and security of mounting my transducer in the transducer pocket, and based on my review of some installation manuals, I didn't think a side-scan transducer would work in a transducer pocket. If it does, I may upgrade my fish finder to a model with side-scan sonar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pmmpete wrote:
If you install a side-scan transducer in the transducer pocket of an Outback, let us know how well it works.

With big pleasure but I have to know about the hull first...