Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first trip out fishing on the AI with the Honda 2.3.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... ideo%2cmp4

Towards the end I bring in a Trevally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would also like to acknowledge the success of beach landing with the use of the Honda 2.3. Just outside the surf zone, I install the heavy duty cart underneath the AI, pull up the rudder and pull out the mirage pedals. I then take note of the surf cycle and at the right opportune moment gun the motor all the way onto the beach without any concern for the prop hitting the sand bottom since the prop sits above the bottom of the cart wheels. All I have to do then is hop out and pull the kayak up onto the beach. Very nice addition.
Same can be said for launching, leave the wheels in and use the motor. Of course now you have to warm up the motor after starting, a little bit trickier, timing is of essence (note, lower unit needs to be in water for cooling), so depending on conditions, is another method of launching the AI.
8) CR Yaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as fishing with the Honda 2.3 on the AI. It adds a whole new dimension of what type of fishing I can do. Now I can achieve sufficient speed in quick directional changes (no sail) for pulling lures, live bait that require more speed than I can achieve with the pedals solo. After using this motor a few times I realize what I have been missing. Also for fishing excursion out front on long distances, it provides another measure of safety and comfort. The Honda 2.3 is a great addition without taking anything away from functionality of the AI. Love it.
8) CR Yaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What average speed are you getting while cruising?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

crazywakeboarder wrote:
What average speed are you getting while cruising?

I find maintaining 5 mph a sufficient speed for my type of trolling ballyhoo for Dorado. Can get to 6 mph on the AI but after that depending on conditions your very limited by the AI's bow design for diving into oncoming swell.

Note: The new 2015 AI's, I'm sure can do more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark:
Glad your happy with the Honda, I know I am with ours, I also feel adding the motor doesn't detract from the adventure experience, in my opinion it makes the boat much more versatile especially in light conditions. One thing to note, the honda is 100% air cooled so it doesn't need to be in the water to run, though it is a bit loud when out of the water (has underwater exhaust).
When we are not using the motor we simply tilt it up and out of the way. The motors only weigh 27 lb so in the scheme of things I don't think carrying that extra 27 lbs around means much if anything performance wise (sailing, and pedaling with the motor tilted up), actually on my TI having a little extra weight in the back actually helps sailing performance.
In our case we have a trailer and the motor is never removed from the boat ( actually in our case that's 'motors' (we have twin Hondas mounted on our TI, for offshore)).
Good luck
Bob