Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since getting the 2015 Hobie Outback a couple months back, I've been trying to figure out how to rig it up. Not wanting to drill more then bare minimum (anchor trolley), I've been racking my brain how to pull this off.

Wanting to use RAM & YakAttack products exclusively, I had pretty much decided on two pairs of YA MightyMounts installed fore and aft paired with (1) 1" & (3) 1-1/2" Srewballs to mount a Lowrance FF/GPS, a Zooka tube & two RAM Tube 2008.

Originally, I had wanted to use four of the RAM flush rod holder wedge adapters, but I was told they won't work in the Hobie molded in rod holders, which are wider than "normal" flush mounts.

Just for sh*ts & giggles (and before I ordered from YakAttack & RAM), I borrowed one of the RAM adapters from Ed at South River Outfitters to see if I could make it work...low & behold after only one beer, I had an epiphany, and the solution was stupid easy.....

In it's normal configuration, the adapter has a o-ring on the upper and one on the lower, when the screw/shaft is turned, the upper & lower are compressed together and are pushed outward to fill the gap....no go with Hobie though.

I repositioned the o-rings so that they encompass both the upper & lower in two spots, the result is a wider dimension and a nice tight fit in the Hobie rod holders.

Now I'll be able to equip my Outback exactly how I want with little to no modification of the boat (except for the Power-Pole Micro install). Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great tip, K.I.S.S. too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I concur with your use of the Ram Mount wedge adapter. I also use the O rings the same way and found they work great in this configuration. I applaud you for posting this. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before you go drilling for the micro pole check out railblaza's tracport you might be able to rig it with less holes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size tracport is that it looks really long

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tracport 900

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok cool thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I went with the YakAttack mount for the Outback for a couple reasons-

1. Designed specifically for the Outback, not a "one size fits all" mount.
2. Puts the "pin" as close to the stern as possible, but still allows full use of the rudder system. This is important as it puts the stern (smallest profile) into the current/wind/wake, putting it anywhere near the center of the boat will create a much larger profile and put undue stress on the Power-Pole and the boat itself.
3. And last but not least, it's Made in the USA. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this thread is a little old, but I hope you guys can post what you've caught with this type of setup. I like the idea of having those ram adapters instead of drilling, but it looks like a strong fish can turn the whole thing, or when trolling it'll spin.

Just looking for some advice before putting buying them.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Having the "clicker" engaged on your reel while trolling should prevent any possibility of the ram mount from spinning if a fish does strike