Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trolling motor question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will the motorguide varimax 12 fit through the drive well on my outback? I have the watersnake now but was hoping to upgrade to the varimax 12?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The short of it, No.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This might sound like a silly question by why would anyone replace the primary propulsion (mirage drive) with something else. If someone wants to add a trolling motor my opinion is the best place to mount is a swing up side or transom mount motor and use it for suplimental power. When not using the motor it just swings up harmlessly out of your way.

If you pedal lightly while using the motor you will increase the range considerably. Even adding a sail kit makes a huge difference. Using all three modes of propulsion at the same time brings a Hobie to new levels never seen before (tri power propulsion). Seriously there is nothing on the market or on anyone's drawing boards that can equal this efficiency. You should be able to quadruple your traveling distance easily and get out there faster than anyone else using mostly what you already have. Once you get to your fishing spot just furl the sail and strap it to the side of the boat (out of the way), especially with a pa, it's a no brainer to sail (extremely stable).
Just my two cents
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for ALL the input...big help

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why not add a trolling motor.... I am adding one on the back of my PA which will allow me to use my mirage drive when I am fishing. I primarily want to save my energy for when I am fishing. A trolling motor will allow you to get farther back in the marsh and fish new areas. Summers down here are brutal and I have always been a fan of working smarter. However....each to their own. I am fabricating a wooden piece to clamp on my back handle to attach the trolling motor to. Tight lines.