Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love my 2015 Outback, after two PA12's, I love dealing with the reduced weight and the ability to paddle when needed and the layout of the redesigned cockpit and most of all- the new Vantage CT seat.

If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the Hi/Lo legs stow automatically when I lean forward to grab my rod or need to adjust my Wi-Fi speaker mounted in the mast mount.
For me, I've found that I use the high position 95% of the time, so the automatic stowing legs are of little use to me....so I came up with a no-drill, reversible (if need be) solution............

Pull to Deploy changed to Pull to Store.

This is how the spectra line normally attaches to the feet, with the spring forcing the feet to stow when seat is clear of the deck. This pic shows the line still attached but spring loose.

This shows the spectra line attached to the "pull-cord" with tension bungee attached.

This section of cord replaces the spectra line. I added a stainless steel washer and ran the new line through the existing hole in the left rear leg. Pic 4 shows the new line in place and attached to the pull-cord.

Once the new line was installed I reattached the spring, I just rotated it opposite the way it was originally.

Now when I pull the cord, I'm stowing the feet which allows me to lower the seat and have more stability when the seas get sloppy or the wind is slowing me down.

But wait...due to the tension being taken off the cord when the feet are stowed, it hangs loose, so I added a section of bungee that attaches to the upper most section of the pull cord as to put tension on the upper section only causing the pull handle to sit tightly against the seat frame.

Due to this section of bungee being low-stress, I was able to mount the terminal end to one of the seat frame screws, with little chance of causing a problem.

This pic shows where the "tension bungee" attaches to the pull-handle cord, just above the lower section of bungee/deploy line.

This shot shows how the "tension bungee" was run through the pull-cord so as to keep the line from drooping when legs are in the stowed position.

Lastly, this shows the cord being pulled to stow the legs, as opposed to how it would originally deploy the legs.

It works perfect and guarantees that the legs are firmly in place while in the high seat position. Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Perfect solution! We had a lot of discussion about that here during development.

We decided to default to the low position because an unfamiliar user might get stuck in the high position and be unstable in the kayak. We felt it better to deploy knowingly.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great modification! I'm going to have to try that setup.

Goodness knows I'm not doing anything else right now while the water is frozen :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great modification ! I like the idea of it not going into the low position every time when I lean forward .

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Changed my Outback over this afternoon. Took about an hour with the looking at the pics here and doing it. Works like a charm. I used a 1/8" thick by 3" diam women's pony hair tie for the elastic on the return to keep the slop out. Just looped it thru the stock pull and made a loop over the end on the 5" seat leg next to the pull cord..

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same experience on Saturday when on the water when in my case while leaning back the legs of my seat collapsed. I then had to move myself forward in my Outback and reposition my seat. I did not manage to get it back to the high setting and for the rest of the day had to use it in the low position.

I plan on making the above described modification to my seat as I always want it set to the higher setting.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bump...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Picked up my new AI today and this was my first mod. Thanks for posting.