Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering if anyone has been able to put the 8" gear trac gt175 in the indent in front of the cup holder on a 2015 outback. It seems like it might be too long to fit there

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wondering the same thing. Also can you have a fish finder and rod holder on the same trac?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No. An eight-inch won't fit into the curve on the new Outback indent. However, two four-inch models will. Angle the forward one. Just make certain they aren't close enough together that there isn't enough clearance to slide in the mounting balls. The end result doesn't look as slick-looking as a single unit, but it works. If you like a Ram Arm to hold your transducer, which I do, a Dog Bone extender raises the connection high enough to clear the top of the indent enough to mount the arm.

Oldguysrule (CO)
Hobie Fishing Team YakAttack Pro staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks great advice!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope I'm not venturing too far off this subject regarding the gear tracs location. I just sold my 2014 Outback and my 2015 Outback is ready for pickup at my outfitter (the switch is solely due to the vantage seat). I had installed the narrow 8" gear tracs on the 2014 just forward of the rod holders and they worked out quite well with my ram mounts. I am somewhat concerned with respect to the 2015 configuration. On the TexasKayakfishing site (Bing search engine), there are photos of a 2015 with the wide 8" gear tracs mounted just forward of the rod holders. They appear to fit nicely but appearances can deceive. Does anyone know if the wide gear tracs will fit the 2015 just forward of the rod holders without any overhang or should I just stick with the narrow gear tracs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've seen some pics that look like they overlap some. I think I goggled gt175 on 2015 outback images

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronrbaker wrote:
On the TexasKayakfishing site (Bing search engine), there are photos of a 2015 with the wide 8" gear tracs mounted just forward of the rod holders. They appear to fit nicely but appearances can deceive. Does anyone know if the wide gear tracs will fit the 2015 just forward of the rod holders without any overhang or should I just stick with the narrow gear tracs?

I'm the one who mounted the 8inch gear tracs forward of the rod holders that ronrbaker referenced in the TKF (Texas Kayak Fisherman) forums. They work great and have no problems! I like the stability and strength of the gear tracs for rod holders and trolling. They fit nicely. There is no overhang. I was initially concerned they might interfere with the rudder system, but there is good clearance and screws do not touch the rudder lines.

Here are the pictures I posted on TKF.

If you go to the original TKF forum thread, you can download larger images http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=223022

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good tip, RonRBaker if your desire is to mount a rod holder or trolling gear. However, if you wish to mount a Ram transducer arm and a sonar ball mount, I believe the GearTrack will be too far forward. Not much choice but to mount two 4" tracks in the indents.

Oldguysrule CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for your responses. I don't do much trolling for big fish and I like the gear tracs forward of the rod holders on the 2014. I glad to hear the wide 8" will fit the 2015 forward the rod holders. My only trolling is for ladyfish and sea trout. I mostly fish largemouth, reds, and snook, which don't require trolling. The gear tracs are for the fish finder and a ram rod holder. Thanks again. Your advise is greatly appreciated. I piked up my new 2015 this afternoon (3/17/15) and need to get it rigged for a trip to Santee, SC for largemouth and catfish at the end of this month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also like the 8 inch gear tracks in that they give more flexibility to attach rod holders and such. As you can see in my pictures, I have mounted my Lowrance fish finder in the right indent. By the way, the new 2015 indent requires a diamond ram base mount - not the circular mount. I like the fish finder there so I can keep the cables in the mesh pocket when not in use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Real good idea on the gear tac. I'm gonna come up with something like that.