Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently downsized from a PA12 to the 2014 model Sport. I'm 5'5 and a mere 130 pounds so even the sport is stable enough for me to stand and cast. I am curious how folks have rigged their Sports for inland freshwater fishing. I upgraded the fins to the turbo fins so far for the speed. Is it necessary to upgrade to the larger rudder as well? I owned a sport 3 years ago but not sure that it would be safe to compare that to this with all the changes.

Fishfinder- I'm currently debating between the new Garmin echomap 43dv and Humminbird Helix 5DI. Does anyone have experience with Garmin fish finders? Everything I read says their mapping is far superior than Lowrance and Humminbird but they lack in the sonar technology with fish marking ability in comparison to other fish finders?

Fish storage- On the PA 12 I just used the front hatch as an ice box. I love the new little hatch they incorporated on the Sports as a smaller scale of the PA12. Are there fish bags that folks use in this hatch to store their catch to keep the deck space free and prevent fish slime build up inside the hull?

Livewell/Bait- How are folks storing bait? Does the livewell fit on the sport or are there any homemade live well suggestions that are lower profile to store small bait such as minnows, shiners and chubs?

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association