Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm certainly not bashing Outbacks (because I had one for over a year) but it seems that most of the posts recently have been about rigging outbacks for fishing.
Who here got a 2015 Revolution to fish from?
Post pics if you've got them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not too many people huh? :lol:

Oh well, I broke my piggybank yesterday and bought one, so expect more pictures and rigging posts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took my kayak offshore yesterday for her maiden voyage.
I couldn't be happier with her performance!
Coming from a Revo11, I am happy to report that the new Revo13 has not lost any stability with the new seat. The sea was calm, but I did have a few boats pass by and give me the wake-test, and she handled it well. Coming back into the beach I was able to surf the waves back in just a tad bit better than I would have in the smaller revo.

Fishing specific observations:
- I'm spoiled by the Outback's 2 forward rod holders, but they would have been in the way for the fishing yesterday honestly (I was landing small black fin tunas and had a 30 minute sleigh-ride with a shark of unknown species since the leader popped). I think the lack of forward rod holders is more of a reminder to take less gear.
- stability when turning around to tank well area to grab my live bait was no problem.
- the seat was very comfortable and held up well to a morning of vertical jigging.
- the area under the seat did collect water, but at least I was not sitting in it! The drain did not work as well as I had hoped, more trial is necessary before I pass judgement on it.

Question to any revolution anglers out there: Where do you put your catch bag? The bow is large enough, but I feel like any weight on it will tip the nose in an uncomfortable angle. My stern is taken up with a crate containing a 5-gallon bucket live-well. I think I will be putting a rectangular bag in between the back of the seat and the crate so that the long sides of the catch bag hang over the sides of the kayak. its the only option I see right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older Revo and was also wondering what to do with my catch. I thought about the catch bag idea (up front, with zipper opening facing me). I have also tossed them in a cooler in the back, but now that I have a milk crate back there that's not going to work too well. I think I may go back to a good old fashioned stringer. That seems easiest, should keep the fish alive and fresh, and takes up very little room. But then again, I'm not on the ocean where that might invite larger predators.

The Native catch bag which is triangular shaped (or similar concept) and fits on the bow would be the one I might try if I go the catch bag route.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clean them on the water, over your lap cutting board, put fillets in cooler bag or small cooler.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker wrote:
Clean them on the water, over your lap cutting board, put fillets in cooler bag or small cooler.

Not an option in Florida. FWC officers could give me citations for something like that because we are supposed to bring the fish in whole so they can identify them if needed (so they can enforce seasonality and size limitations).

Circumnavigator: I also have a crate and live bait in the trunk area of my Revo13 so yeah, no storage back there. I've begun to put padeyes on the front of the kayak to mount the catch bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been told that I am the only one so far to buy the 2015 Revo 13 over the Outback from our Annapolis, MD Hobie supplier. I love fishing from my Revo 13.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John thanks for posting pics!
This weekend doesn't look like a fishing weekend, so I may use the time to install the fish finder on my Revo13.
I also have sailing gear I need to put on (amas & furling kit).