Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was quite shocked when I tried to update the Navionics card included in the $700 bundle. According to the Navionics site I need to upgrade to Navionics+ for $99. I looked at the exiting data on the card and it said it was Navionics Silver.

I've reached out to both Lawrance & Navionics. Anyone else experience this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem and contacted Navionics. Here is their reply. Thank you for contacting Navionics. The MSD/NEB-3/ELI5 is an OEM bundle chart which is Navionics charting details, is a product of the plotter manufacturer and is not part of the Navionics' regular product lines. These charts don't qualify for Freshest Updates; however there should be a free upgrade path that changes the product from a pre-programmed version to our blank, pre-formatted Navionics+ card that you customize by creating coverage areas for.

This chart code # qualifies for the free upgrade and there is an issue we are currently working on with our webstore to allow for these charts to be upgraded at no charge. In the mean-time, we can send out a Navionics+ card at no charge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the number on the card? It should be something like: MSD/NEB-3/ELI4 or MSD/NEB-3/ELI5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The card# is MSD/NEB-3/ELI5.

I had a feeling I was not the only one that encountered this problem. I'm a patient person who understands that sometimes stuff happens. What irks me is the terrible customer service from Lowrance. I just spent $600 to purchase their product, which they already knew has this issue, and they tell me "sorry you need to call Navionics, it's not our product". Now before anybody says it's Navionics fault for simplifying there product line.. Lowrance knew of the issue and they failed to inform me when I called for support.. even worse they did not recall the items or have stickers on the box that state the process to get the right card. The box even came with an insert for Navionics+ yet they still packaged the older Navionics Silver card in their Gold bundle.

Navionics support was very helpful and I understand why they can't overnight me the right card because it's on there dime.. so now I have to wait a week loosing a second weekend of use. I have little tolerance for the kind of crap.

Bass Pro has stepped up and agreed to exchange the card with one from another unit to try and resolve the issue. I'm guessing it will be a futile attempt but kudos to them for A+ customer service.

If your considering a Gold model Lowrance.. be sure to check the card that comes with it that it's Navionics+.

Just my two cents.. this 2015 Outback is my fourth Hobie Mirage Kayak I bought in 4 years and the few times I needed Hobie support has been outstanding service. I love my Mirage kayaks and find it really disappointing Hobie is endorsing Lowrance which has such a poor quality of customer service. That endorsement went a long way in choosing Lowrance over DragonFly & Hummingbird.. I think everybody knows my opinion of Lowrance at this point :x

Bottom line is there is no excuse for a vendor to continue to allow there product to be sold if they know it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 am 
Site Admin

To be clear... these are not units that Hobie is selling in our catalog correct? Different package.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
To be clear... these are not units that Hobie is selling in our catalog correct? Different package.

Correct..Hobie sells the Elite 5 Chirp whereas I bought the Elite 5 Chirp Gold; the difference is that the latter comes with a Navionics chip whereas the former you have to buy the Navionics chip separately. It's not the sonar thats at the heart of my venting/warning to others... it's the fact that Lawrence knows the chips packed in their bundles does not work and they continue to sell them. That poor business practice in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've given up on Lowrance. Have had nothing but bad luck with their units, 4 for 4. They are definitely not water proof. Need something that can take some abuse on a wet ridden kayak for more than half a year, if even that. Thus the move to smart phone/see thru water proof bag and just a water proof depth gauge.