Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my 2015 Revolution 13 and I want to install a Lowrance fishfinder. So the transducer wire comes up from the transducer port and out the top of kayak behind the seat. It's then supposed to go through the wire cap that is just behind the seat. What i'm trying to figure out is how to unscrew the backing plate for that wire cap. I'm 6' tall and I can't reach it from the center hatch. What am I missing? Is there a video of the procedure somewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless the plastic nut inside the hull is really tight, you should be able to "loosen up" the wire/hull fitting by turning it ccw....and if you get your arm into the round access hatch, up to your arm pit, you should be able to locate the nut inside the hull.
I know I had to really reach/stretch inside my PA-14 to reach one of the thru hull plastic wire fittings...it can be done...good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm having this problem right now! I'm 5'8" and I cannot reach that wiring fitting to unscrew the nut.
Seeking help from my local club :oops:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive seen in other posts from other sites that the threads are the same as sprinkler pipes. Guys have gotten some of those fittings to make it easier to hold on to/reach.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look closely at the "domed plastic fitting" that is on the EXterior of the hull....not inside the interior of the hull......there are 2 flat spots where a crescent wrench opened to 1 3/16" will allow you to "loosen up" the domed fitting without inserting your arm into the inside of the hull.
Still does not help if you have short arms to complete the nut removal.......maybe your wife, significant other or small child can assist on the interior of the hull :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe consider removing the hatch and backing plate for a little more reach?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Maybe consider removing the hatch and backing plate for a little more reach?

That is a thought. If I don't get any responses to my "will trade cold beer for long arms" post on my community forum, I will have to try it.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found 2 nuts in the hull of my 2015 AI so the Hobie factory must have the same problem or the long armed guy was sick the day mine was assembled.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to get to it but it was a stretch!!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I realize this topic is over a year old, but I am trying install a fishfinder on my 2015 Revo 13 and having the same problem. My arms aren't four feet long. I am an average height man and this is ridiculous. What if I was a smaller person. Should I have to pay my local dealer to do this for me? Telling me to get somebody else to reach it is equally irritating. Not everybody has a group of friends to call on. I know I can get the fitting off by unscrewing it from the outside. But reinstalling it will be pretty difficult if not impossible for me. What is the point of giving instructions or filming videos if they are impossible. I have owned several Hobie products. I consider them to be the best on the market. But every once in a while I get really frustrated with a poor design, which this is!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm waiting for delivery of my Lowrance Hook4 right now. I'm 6'4" with pretty long arms, so hopefully I can reach it.
We shall see......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just for kicks, I tried to reach the backing plate just now. I can just reach it, and turn it with my finger tips. Taking it off will be OK, but trying to get it back will be quite a task, with a few *%$** words thrown in, I'm sure. I'll also need to wear a long sleeve shirt, otherwise the lip of the hatch opening will tear up my arm. It's pretty sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, Mission Accomplished.....
I did the install this morning. I was able to reach the plastic nut to get it off easily enough once I found the correct position.
Getting it back on was a challenge. Trying to get it lined up was hit and miss. I was getting ready to take a break because my shoulder was starting to hurt, but then got it started. Took my break and went back to tightening it.