Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I've been googling videos about this subject but can't find the answer to my question.

When you put the tracs down where you want them, how do you secure the tracs of you can't get under the bolt to attach the nut? I see videos of peopling drilling etc but I must be missing something. This could also be relevant to the anchor trolley, trying to figure this out so I don't mess up the new kayak!

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The drilling is just for a pilot hole and the screws are self tapping. Do you have the gt 90 or gt175 gear tracs? The 175s are wider with screws on either side of the tracs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The YakAttack GT175 tracks mount from the outside with screws, which in some locations on some kayaks is a major advantage. For example, I have GT175 tracks mounted on the gunwales of my 13' Revolution by my calves, in front of the pockets. The inside of the gunwales are too narrow and arched to permit the mounting of those tracks with nuts and bolts, but it's very easy to mount them from the outside with screws.

All the YakAttack GT90 tracks mount with bolts, so you need to be able to reach inside the gunwale to install the nuts and washers and tighten them down. In some locations this can be a major hassle. On a kayak which has gunwales which are flat enough inside that you can use backing bars rather than separate nuts and washers, using backing bars can make it easier to install GT90 tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, they are the 175s and I did not see they were thread forming screws. So it makes sense now, that was the piece I wasn't seeing. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just installed the GT90 Geartrac directly behind the seat on my 2015 Outback. I put it there to use with the YakAttack brackets that allow you to mount and remove the cross bar for the Sidekick
amas. The area is impossible to access and I was going to use well nuts, but decided to try the YakAttack Rigging Bullets instead. The Rigging Bullets are a tool that allow you to mount geartrac with
a backing plate in inaccessible areas. It was kind of frustrating at first, but there are good videos that show you how to do this at the Austin Kayak website. It worked great, and I highly recommend considering this method.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the idea, I saw the rigging bullets but didnt really grasp the idea just looking over it real quick. I'll check those out, thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are three different sized YakAttack Rigging Bullets, so if your installing GT175's, GT90's or the MightyMount's, make sure you order the correct sized RB's.

http://www.yakattack.us/category_s/1888.htm