Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish finder questions
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys and girls. I have a hobie outback and I love to fish and I'm looking into some fish finders. I just have a couple questions about it all. Are the hobie kayaks just limited to lowrance devices or could you put a humminbird on it. Also what kind of fish finders do you recommend if I am trying to find structure on the bottom or ledges and drop offs. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you can mount a Humminbird transducer in the "Lowrance ready cover"......you need to purchase the Hobie adapter kit P/N 84505901 for $9 and all will be good.
I am partial to Humminbird units as I have have no reliability issues...the one Lowrance unit I owned went back for warranty repair twice.....they are good about warranty repairs, but my unit continued to have issues and I replaced it with a Humminbird 4 years ago......no problems......My old portable Humminbird unit was 20 years old when I sold it and it still worked!

I would recommend that which ever brand you buy, make sure it has the GPS feature......it's so helpful to mark everything from underwater obstructions to points/exact locations you want to revisit at a later time.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much Dr. Steelheadcathcher. That was very helpful!!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hummingbird fish finder (with GPS feature) on a Revo. I don't have the recess transducer mount... I just siliconed the transducer inside the hull and shoot through the plastic. It works well. I don't know much about side scanning or other fancy features but I see plenty of structure, bottom features, and I catch fish.

If you decide to shoot through the hull make sure you don't get air bubbles in the silicone. That will destroy your sonar signal.

Also, before I tried the permanent silicone mount, I just made a dam of putty, put the transducer in, and filled the dam with water. That also works, and makes for a good temporary test of the transducer ability to shoot through the hull.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is my super duper transducer mount inside the hull. Nothing but a high density styrofoam form and some silicone to stick the transducer down. As simple as it is, it seems to work great and 3 years later, I've had no problems.