Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://khon2.com/2015/07/03/video-shark ... l-lands-it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He was so lucky to have a mothership nearby. Had he been out on the ocean alone only with another kayaker the outcome could have been a lot different.

I get so scared seeing guys hang limbs overboard while fighting fish or trying to land one into the kayak. I have seen enough fish cut off at the gills by a passing shark or one that has been attracted by the distress of the hooked fish. That is a sharks dinner bell. Be careful out there and remember you cannot see what is coming up from underneath to eat your catch. Your leg just might be in the way. A guy got his foot severed in Hawaii not too long ago sitting side saddle and fishing for bait. He died before getting back to shore. What are the odds who knows? Better to value your limbs.

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This angler made one big mistake over anything else: His drag was set too heavy.
Do yourself a favor when you're fighting larger fish offshore: keep a level head make sure your drag isn't so tight that the fish can either rip the rod from your hands or rip you from your seat, and for goodness sake keep your feet inside the kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good Advice from Revo:

"I get so scared seeing guys hang limbs overboard while fighting fish or trying to land one into the kayak. I have seen enough fish cut off at the gills by a passing shark or one that has been attracted by the distress of the hooked fish. That is a sharks dinner bell. Be careful out there and remember you cannot see what is coming up from underneath to eat your catch. Your leg just might be in the way. A guy got his foot severed in Hawaii not too long ago sitting side saddle and fishing for bait. He died before getting back to shore. What are the odds who knows? Better to value your limbs."

My wife and I see this done by yakkers in the ocean just outside the harbor along the coastline. They catch a big fish, cut the gills , and hang their catch. That makes them and their catch slow moving shark or seal bait.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
This angler made one big mistake over anything else: His drag was set too heavy.
Do yourself a favor when you're fighting larger fish offshore: keep a level head make sure your drag isn't so tight that the fish can either rip the rod from your hands or rip you from your seat, and for goodness sake keep your feet inside the kayak.

Years ago I started fly fishing with the Spey rods.

You go from fly fishing for small to medium size fish to big critters. Big critters that can pull an expensive rod and reel/line out of your hands.

My son warned me to never have a heavy tippet on the end of the line. Since we basically catch and release, to never go over a 12 pound tippet.

One of my peers/mentors is big guy who played highschool and college football skoffed at at this. He went fishing with a guide for big steelhead in a Canadian river. He had a new expensive Spey Rod/reel/line and on his first big cast a really big salmon/steelhead/? struk his fly, hooked itself and headed down stream at flank speed. The critter pulled the rod out of his hand into the river. He and the guide never found. His clone of a brother had the same fate happen in Alaska.

Later, I broke the my 12# tippet with a large salmon in the Checto River in Oregon. Another fisher with me estimated that salmon was between 40-50 #'s.