Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where did you get your kayak fishing waterproof pants with socks?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought my Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest dry pants at NRS. See http://www.nrs.com/product/25051/kokata ... with-socks . I like these dry pants for moderate air and water temperature fishing. Dry pants with dry socks are way more comfortable than dry pants with ankle gaskets, because your feet spend a lot of time wet or in the water when you're fishing in a sit-on-top kayak. The Tempest dry pants have a wide waistband which makes a better seal than waders with a belt. And the waistband is low enough so it's easy for a guy to take a pee into a funnel when sitting on a sit-on-top kayak. When wearing waders, I have to take off my PFD so I can get the waders' suspenders off my shoulders so I can pull down the waders far enough to pee.

Last edited by pmmpete on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm an REI member so I bought them there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I have been researching Froggtogg pant waders, these might be a better option. My problem is foot size, I'm tall and skinny and wear a size 13 shoe. Fitting looks to be a problem. How did it work out for you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Frogg Toggs rain gear is popular with moto riders and I note that the Hellbender pants are only about $100. Those might work out nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the Hellbender pants, will give a report ASAP. Thought I might "get Along" with the belted waist better. Ordered them off the FroggTogg website.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kokatat will make them custom to fit you, add a zipper, etc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Received the Hellbender pants today and I couldn't be more pleased. Fit is great, big foot fits great, pants not baggy, but enough room for warming layers, and they look great. Kentucky Lake tomorrow to try them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just FYI wading pants are not waterproof in the way you mean when talking abut paddling pants. That belt is great for wading where you don't expect to be more than waist deep, but if you get dumped from the kayak, it's not going to keep the water out.

I have paddling pants and I have waist-high waders. In water above my waist, very little water gets past the waistband of the paddling pants - one or two cups at most - but the waders will fill up in about 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Toor wrote:
Just FYI wading pants are not waterproof in the way you mean when talking abut paddling pants. That belt is great for wading where you don't expect to be more than waist deep, but if you get dumped from the kayak, it's not going to keep the water out.

I have paddling pants and I have waist-high waders. In water above my waist, very little water gets past the waistband of the paddling pants - one or two cups at most - but the waders will fill up in about 10 seconds.

What kind of paddling pants do you have. I'm on the fence about getting paddling pants or a farmer john wetsuit. Would the paddling pants be safe in an offshore capsize situation? Thanks :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to add this for those who are looking for waterproof clothes. I chose mine simply to keep dry while entering and exiting my kayak so I could fish in the cold weather. Not easy for me to get in my kayak without getting wet, no problem in the summer. Waders are not a substitute for a dry suit.