Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys let me start by saying what a great forum this is have really enjoyed reading the threads which helped make me make up my mind and take the plunge and get an outback. On Friday I bought a used 2013 model. I took it out for the first time on Sunday. I loved every moment of it. Had a massive smile on my face the whole time. Couldn't believe the speed I could achieve with very little effort. All whilst texting, taking selfies and eating pasties lol. I immediately put my ocean kayak ultra 4.3 up for sale.

I have just removed my lowrance elite 4 hdi and would like to install it in the outback. I have a lowrance scupper kit but I'm worried that the transducer may get damaged as it would be quite exposed. My other thoughts are a wet install I'll use a sealed tub and fix the transducer to the lid and seal the tub to the kayak with marine goop or duct seal. I've not had much luck when I tried using sikaflex to stick it in on past kayaks I had bubbles which screwed the readings up.

How did you guys do it on your pre lowrance ready models?

Bit undecided about rod holders to. I have 2x ram 1.5" balls and 2008 tubes that I was thinking about putting in recessed areas either side of the seat. But worried they won't sit flat as the screw bit will be over the edge of the recessed part. Maybe I should get something else??

Thanks in advance for any help and advice and ideas.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I find that the molded in rod holders on the past and current kayaks are a bit anachronistic. They had their place and time...and that time has passed. I have both the Hobie H-Rail adjustable Rod holders and the The Hobie Adjustable Rod Holder Extender on my PA14. They both work very well, and the extenders make use of what I would otherwise consider a waste of space. I like the way they carry both bait casters and spinning rods much better than my old Ram Tube 2008's. The only issue I see with the extenders on an Outback would be that if placed in the rear molded in rod tubes, they might be to far back to easily reach.

I would have you consider installing the Hobie 21" or 9" H-Rails on your outback. They really allow a great amount of flexibility in mounting gear where you want it for any particular trip. Plus at $25 and $20 respectively, they will not break the bank.

As an example, I mounted the 9" H-Rails on the back of my Pro Angler, which adds even more options to where and what I mount. In the photo below I have a H-Rail adjustable Rod holder, 2 H-Rail YakAttack mighty mounts, and two YackAttack RotoGrip paddle holders (which are pretty freaking awesome and handy in their own right.)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937