Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a 2007 Outback and a 2013 Revo 13 but wanted a new Revo with the Vantage seat. So, I purchased one last Friday and Friday evening, when installing the anchor trolley, I noticed for the first time there’s no provision for carrying a paddle (or stake-out pole) on the left side of the kayak. I fish in Mosquito and Indian River Lagoon and a stake-out pole is critical to positioning your kayak near a school of tailing fish and I’m totally not interested in a micro power-pole (the water on average is less than 3 feet deep).
On my 2007 Outback and 2013 Revo, I carried the stake-out pole in the paddle holder on the left side where I could quickly and quietly access and deploy it when needed. And, I realize design changes were necessary with the new seat. But, where do I carry my stake-out pole?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, well….here’s my solution. I use the one (and only) paddle holder on the right side to carry my stake-out pole. I installed a YakAttack GT175G2-16 GearTrac (16”) on the forward gunwale and a GT175G2-04 GearTrac (4”) on the gunwale immediately behind the seat, then attached two YakAttack RotoGrip Paddle Holders to the GearTrac’s.

I’d considered using the Hobie H-Rail but there were a couple of problems. The gunwale behind the seat is so small that the 9” H-Rail would need to be trimmed to the point that the H-Rail Mighty Mount might no longer fit on the H-Rail. A solution might be to mount both fore and aft H-Rails off the gunwale at an angle. However, I store my Revo on my garage wall. (Not a Hobie recommended way to store your kayak but, it fits the space I have available). Any H-Rail installed either on the gunwale or at an angle would require a different storage method. The GearTrac is flush and allows me to remove anything attached to it before hanging the kayak on the wall. And of course, I have to reinstall any attachments when I take it fishing.

Okay, so for $85 plus shipping, I now have the same functionality with the 2016 Revo that the 2013 Revo has. This is my third Hobie and it probably won’t be my last. However, I’m really disappointed Hobie didn’t provide a better solution which included retention of the second paddle mount when they designed the Revo seat upgrade.

Many thanks to pmpete for his detailed instructions on installing the GT175!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0o46l36m0tnfsxt/AADmE1w96rpcfz6tnyUY5Vdra

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ivbgatgociymvy2/AACw1O1-ByPCi_bPiLkkZZvIa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7atderwu6tuun85/AADIL9OwUZ5a2_GE_0NmYfWIa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/g4fr8g66gvi7297/AABuMMXF5J4GN90_gVe1X2zWa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zxqluhm1ckm8fsr/AABXs8JPWel0OC3Psk-GPZtua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Engineers had to relocate the steering handle with the seat change. The handle had to be positioned where it is now for ergonomic reasons. Also, when you turned the handle left it would hit the paddle…so we decided to remove the paddle holder. However, an H-Crate would serve as a great addition to the cargo area on your Revo 13. With 4 built in rod holders, and the opportunity for mounting additional rod holders to it, you'd be able to keep your stakeout pole on the H-Crate and have it readily accessible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm thinking about if I want to upgrade my 2013 revo later this year when the 180 drives come up.

When I'm out, I carry the paddle and either a stake out pole or a lure retriever pole depending if I'm fishing salt water flats or fresh water lakes. I could maybe get away with the stake out pole in a rod holder, but it would be a pain for the lure retriever pole. Not only is it tall and heavy, but it would snag up in the branches of the partially submerged trees I fish amongst in the freshwater lakes. The only real option is to have it stored horizontally.

It's a real shame hobie couldn't find a solution for the redesigned revo to allow pole/paddle storage on both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you thought about the G-Hold by RAILBLAZA? For your application, I'd recommend using the StarPort base with it. You'd want to use two, and could mount them in a location of your preference.

StarPort Part # 72026207

G-Hold Part # 72026202

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will have to check out the new hull in person to see how it would fit.

The old hulls were perfect to mount a pole on the side plus have the anchor trolley keeping the gunnels clear of attachments.

Mounting the railblazer mounts on the side of the hull might work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you go that route, find a flat surface for mounting the StarPort to and make sure they're above the water line :)