Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double Outback Load
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I'm looking for a load & carry solution to transport 2 12' Outbacks for fishing on a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner. Cost is not a factor, so I'd like to focus on quality, ease of use and safety. I really like the Thule Hullavator Pro. Although Thule says the load limit for the Hullavator Pro is 75 lbs., I'm wondering if it would be safe lifting an additional 12 lbs the Outback weighs. I have seen videos of others using it.

Does anyone have any experience in the area, including any non Hullavator solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Double Outback Load
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Rhino Rack's Nautic Kayak Lifter (load rated at 176 lbs) - Hobie part no. 72040012

The unit is designed to be neatly stored on the roof of your vehicle beside your kayak when not in operation. This is a complete system for easily loading and unloading sit-on-top kayaks. Does not require heavy lifting and a single person can operate it using the included winch.

*Important Note: Designed to fit Rhino roof rack systems with bar overhang with at least 100mm. Contact Rhino Rack for other rack mfg compatibility.

Here's a link to Rhino Rack's product overview video: https://youtu.be/FIpxXv9Ah3c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I carry a 13' Revolution on top of my 2006 4-Runner. I throw a towel on the wind deflector, lay the kayak down with its bow next to one of the rear wheels and its stern on the centerline of the vehicle, lift the front of the kayak onto my shoulder, walk it to the back of the vehicle, and set it down on the towel. Then I go back to the stern, lift it, and slide the kayak forward onto the padded bars. Then I climb up onto the threshold of one of the passenger doors, flip the kayak over onto its gunwales, strap it down, and tie the bow to one of the tow loops under the nose of the vehicle. This is easy, and all you need is an old towel. Be sure to park the vehicle on flat ground, because if the vehicle is leaning to one side, the kayak will try to slide off the side of the wind deflector.

To mount a second kayak on the vehicle, I first strap the first kayak onto the one side of the padded roof rack bars. Then I lift the bow of the second kayak onto the towel-covered wind deflector. To keep the second kayak from sliding off the wind deflector as I slide it forward onto my roof rack, I push the kayak up at an angle, so it's leaning against the first kayak as it slides up onto the roof.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to you both for your responses. Pmmpete, thanks, but I'm looking for a less cumbersome process, especially as I've had two back surgeries.

HStrech, thanks, I'll look into that system with Rhino Rack. I'm assuming I'd be able to make that work with 2 boats, even though your illustration shows one.

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hoss62, I have the same problem. Getting 1 Kayak to lay flat on the roof is easy. 2 is a whole different ball game...because most vehicles can't fit 2 outbacks laying flat on the roof. The outbacks are too wide for that.

My original setup was Yakima round bars with Malone Stax Pro2. It was a struggle just to get the 2 outbacks secured on my Jeep Cherokee with the help of the person that worked at the dealership when I bought them. The Malone Stax kept rotating on the round bars....and it was tough getting the Kayaks on their sides on the roof.

So, that setup is about to go on craigslist. The new setup I'm going to try this weekend is Rhino Rack rails (not round, but the aerodynamic shape so rotation shouldn't be an issue) and 2 sets of Rhino J style cradles. I'm hoping the cradles will be easier to deal with than the stacker. I'm going to try using a RhinoRack universal side loader, but not sure if that will help get the kayaks on their side at that height.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out Malone SeaWings.

The advantages for you might be that you can push them all the way to the sides of the rack which basically increases your width substantially. You may be able to easily fit two wide outbacks on the roof. Additionally, you can carry them upright which can give you a little more room to carry gear in the kayaks.

They might also add some advantages with your back, but maybe not. Hard to tell. Because they will be farther out from the vehicle that could potentially help someone. However, since you have to lift over the wing to sit the kayak that might not work for some. Its going to be a personal thing.

Yakima has a boat loader which is just a pole the telescopes out the side. You can make your own also. This can help you get things side loaded if you can't slide things up the back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For total ease of loading and use, get yourself a trailer. Mount a couple sets of pvc pipe on it and slide your yaks off and on with ease. I use a harbor freight build it yourself kind that can easily be modded like this to accommodate the yaks and this has been explored many a time on this site. Same with a used boat or jet ski trailer. As you know the outback is no small lightweight and can be very unwieldy at times getting it off and on a vehicle. Do yourself and your ride a world of good and do a trailer . Just sayin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We got a Yakima Rack and roll trailer we use for our 2 outbacks.
Pulls great , loads very easy as I also have had 2 back surgeries.
We have taken them all over the country, I've even pulled it with my Prius.
Folds up and stores against the wall in my garage.
Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Yakima Rack and roll is a nice design, but for me the major drawback is the wheel diameter and hence the height of the trailer off the ground.
Unless you have a steeply falling launch ramp, the trailer needs to be way back into the water for launch and recovery.
My PA-14 would be just too hard to recover on the lakes I frequent.....even on the Columbia River in Hood River.

My Hobie Trailex trailer is a good compromise and easy to launch/recover from, modified with parallel PVC pipes. I still have a 600# capacity winch installed for ease of recovery on to the trailer.
If I could have found a good condition, used jet ski trailer when I need the trailer, that would have been my first choice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

He said it was for two outbacks.
I can load outbacks by myself easily.
60 years old , bad back and all.
Different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can still load two Outbacks on a Trailex trailer If it's set up with wider cross bars and parallel PVC pipes or 2 pairs of Yakima's Mako Saddles.

My point is the Trailex is much lower to the ground and easier to load Vs the Rack and Roll......that's all. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 hullavators on my 4runner. They fit the Outbacks just fine.