Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounts for trolling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used in the past the Scotty Flush Mount Bracket with the tube rod holder when trolling for big striped bass on my old Revo 13. I am getting a new Revo 13 and was wondering if anyone uses the yak attack geartrac mounts with a rod holder. My scotty system has never failed me in regards of taking a big hit while trolling (Med drag). Can the yak attack geartrac mounts handle big fish while trolling? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Mounts for trolling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I mount my fishing gear on gear tracks because it provides me with a lot of flexibility about the way I set up my kayak, both from day to day and during a single day, it allows me to improve my setup as I learn better ways to set up my fishing gear, and it allows me to use equipment from a variety of manufacturers. If you install fixed gear mounts, you are likely to decide in six months that you wish that you had mounted them elsewhere, or that you wish you had installed a base from a different manufacturer.

Gear tracks can certainly handle the stress of trolling for salmon and other big fish. I do a lot of downrigger trolling for lake trout.

Here is a picture of the YakAttack 1.75 gear tracks I have mounted on the gunwales of my Revolution in front of the pockets. These gear tracks are horribly expensive, but they can be mounted quickly and easily from the outside of a kayak with screws, and their width helps them withstand the stress and leverage of trolling. A couple of the holes are positioned over foot brace notches in the side of the cockpit, but there are still plenty of screws holding the gear tracks down. I find that I only use the rear two-thirds of these tracks, so if I was doing it again I’d save a bit of money and buy somewhat shorter tracks.

Image .

It’s more of a hassle to use bolts, locknuts and fender washers or bolts and backer bars to mount gear tracks. If you are thinking of using bolts rather than screws, reach inside your kayak and feel the area inside the gunwales where you want to mount the gear tracks to determine its shape, and to check for obstructions and the location of rudder and steering cords. The area inside the gunwales of a Revolution is pretty narrow and arched. If you drill your holes at all off center, the nuts will be sitting on an angled surface, and a backer bar may only be touching in two corners.

For a description of the way I use gear tracks to mount my fish finder and rod holder on my Revolution for downrigger trolling, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... #msg138905 . If you install gear tracks on your Revolution, you’ll be able to set it up in a variety of ways for fishing. For example, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... #msg187408 for a description of the way I can set up my Revolution to downrigger troll off its right side while running a planer board off its left side, with a rear view mirror to monitor the planer board. This is perhaps a bit over the top, but is an example of the flexibility provided by gear tracks.