Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody have some good ideas on how / where to mount a fishfinder on a Revo ?

Thanks
mg2969

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are alot of good posts on how to mount FFinders in your yak. Check out Kayak Fishing Stuff's forum. They have a good description. I haven't done it yet but I think I remember someone somewhere saying that you needed to mount the transducer in front of the fins or else you would get false readings from the turbulence and air bubbles created by the fins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took a piece of thick wall pvc pipe of the size to fit into the sail mast opening easily about 18 inches long. Added a 90 degree fitting to one end. Inserted an 8 inch piece of the same pipe. Glued the three pieces together. To the horizontal piece I added a small hard nylon cutting board, about 8 X 10 inches. Bolted this to the horizontal piece two places with sstl bolts washers and nyloc nut. To the underside of the horizontal piece I screwed a nylon strap fitting. Now to the upper surface of the cutting board approximately over the vertical piece I attached with sstl bolts 10-32 (?) the fixed mount part of my FishEasy 240 mount. There you have it. I use the underside strap to attach the whole thing to the hull using a bungee cord (capsizing protection). I adjust the height of the assembly for clearance of my foot toes when pedaling by moving a couple of wraps of electricians tape at various places on the vertical piece which is used to jam it in place in the mast fitting. Works for me and it doesn't take up the more valuable almost flat surfaces provided by Hobie for mounting small ball mounts. The remaining surface of the cutting board can be used to cut bait. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What about power sources for fish finders? I've seen some models that operate on AA batteries, but has anyone used a fish finder with a 12-volt source in a kayak? If so, do you use a motorcycle battery or what? Thanks.

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

valfitzandrew wrote:
I took a piece of thick wall pvc pipe of the size to fit into the sail mast opening easily about 18 inches long. Added a 90 degree fitting to one end. Inserted an 8 inch piece of the same pipe. Glued the three pieces together. To the horizontal piece I added a small hard nylon cutting board, about 8 X 10 inches. Bolted this to the horizontal piece two places with sstl bolts washers and nyloc nut. To the underside of the horizontal piece I screwed a nylon strap fitting. Now to the upper surface of the cutting board approximately over the vertical piece I attached with sstl bolts 10-32 (?) the fixed mount part of my FishEasy 240 mount. There you have it. I use the underside strap to attach the whole thing to the hull using a bungee cord (capsizing protection). I adjust the height of the assembly for clearance of my foot toes when pedaling by moving a couple of wraps of electricians tape at various places on the vertical piece which is used to jam it in place in the mast fitting. Works for me and it doesn't take up the more valuable almost flat surfaces provided by Hobie for mounting small ball mounts. The remaining surface of the cutting board can be used to cut bait. :)

I'd love to see pictures of that please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Shep,

I'll try to get some poster the first of next week. I'm departing these spaces for the weekend as soon as my other half loads our cloths and food into the camper.

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

valfitzandrew wrote:
Shep,

I'll try to get some poster the first of next week. I'm departing these spaces for the weekend as soon as my other half loads our cloths and food into the camper.

Val

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to them. Enjoy your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a similar setup to valfitzandrew but I have used a 45 degree elbow. I have about 1.5 inches clearance to the pedals which is more than enough. I have used the setup on 3 trips and it works well.

Regards
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grant,

That's a great setup you have with the 45 degree elbow joint. What diameter PVC pipe fits in the mast hole? I'd like to put a similar rig on my revo.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi DropShot,

in the metric land of Oz I used 15mm pressure pipe pvc which had an outer diameter of 22mm. That would be 7/8 inch OD in your old school imperial system. :P

I also used a 20mm pressure pipe pvc as an outer sleeve except for the mast hole section. This is probably overkill but it has been windy here lately and I was bored one weekend.

I like this setup becase it works well and its a no hole install. Even though the Revo is my fourth kayak I still have this hole drilling phobia. :roll:

Regards
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grant, that's a clean set-up you got there! But how did you connect the f/f base to the pvc?

Thanks,

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Ben,

the sounder bracket is bolted onto a piece of old nylon cutting board that is shaped the same as the bracket base.

I then used some threaded pvc fittings to connect the cutting board to the pvc pipe. The pvc fitting "bolt head" sits under the sounder bracket base, goes through the cutting board, and into another threaded pvc pipe fitting.

Once its all glued, screwed and painted it looks pretty neat.

Regards
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Grant, I'll give it a try.

Ben :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grant, you are an indipsensable wealth of knowledge. :D Thank you very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DropShot wrote:
Grant, you are an indipsensable wealth of knowledge. :D Thank you very much!

Not a problem. However, I can't claim any ownership of the idea. I just copied similar setups I had seen on other forums. :wink:

Regards
Grant