Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: outback vs revo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's a better yak for the ocean?

I am 5 8 160 and fish the ocean. I have a OB but tough to paddle. My OB was very stable. Is there a concern with the Revo for rough condiftions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:24 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I use the revo and cold not be happier. i use to use an outback before the revo was in the line up. I am 5'10" and 200+ lbs i have no problem with stability, I even stand in it.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7420 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, as Brad (of Sunjammers) said, the Revo is a pretty nice craft for fishing, as well as for general kayaking. In fact, here are a couple of pics of Brad's Revo (and one with Brad!) that I took at one of our FCKA tournaments a while back. As you can see here (and in the second pic below), the newer mesh pockets along the gunnels (in the Revo) or amidships (in the Outback) are a perfect place to carry your bags of Gulp tails (or soft plastics) for rigging on a jighead.

Another really nice accessory for fishing that Hobie has introduced in the past year or so are the in-hull tackle trays for lures and other items that you might need to have readily available, shown here installed in Brad's Revo. It is my understanding, however, that these tackle trays will fit in any Hobie with the newer 8 inch amidship hatches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the revo. I can't wait to get it. The dealer mentioned the OB was more stable but revo was very good too. I wanted a stable and good yak for the ocean. I had my drive go on me 2 times. It was very hard to paddle home. Being short 5 8, it will be easier to load it.

I read several posts about the OB being better in the wind on KFS site. Does the revo cut the wave or go on top of it (like OB)? I am thinking it will be a different ride vs my old OB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I think you'll find that, although the Revo doesn't slice through chop quite like the Adventure, it also doesn't pound on it like the OB. It's a good compromise. Regarding wind, the only place the OB might be better than the Revo is when it's pushing you from behind!

A friend has both the OB and Revo. He uses the Revo for all his ocean fishing and the OB on the lakes. I'm sure getting through the surf zone has lots to do with it. Let us know how your yours works out. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Popeye,

How is life with your new Revo?

I have OB and am considering revo for second. I met a guy at the local ramp that has a revo and has turtled it twice just reaching behind himself. I have not seen him paddle and am suspect of his ability, but still I have a hard time imagining turtling even on purpose in my OB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Carver and welcome to the forum.

Here's a couple of guys conducting "stability" tests. The boat on the left is a Revolution.

Perhaps the ramp guy has vertigo? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
Hi Carver and welcome to the forum.

Here's a couple of guys conducting "stability" tests. The boat on the left is a Revolution.

Perhaps the ramp guy has vertigo? 8)

Thanks for the post!

He has a revo and he paddles a $150 sink for exercise so his wife will not realize he does not use "the Kayak" anymore. He says it is also because it is easier to load. He is a young very atheltic, agile person, probably late 20's. But he is really letting a great rig go to waste because of a couple of spills.
I am biding my time until he mentions getting rid of it.