Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a MD180 drive in my 2019 Outback that is making a lot of noise. This drive has required more work and upkeep than any other drive I've owned! I have had 2 V2 drives, a GT drive (the best!) and this POS. It has been in the shop 3 times for noise and had the spine replace 6 months ago. I don't abuse them, I remove when landing, I freshwater wash and WD 40 after every use. Luckily the previous work came under Hobie warranty and I was not out of pocket money, just time. Well, warranty was up in Nov of 21 so now I need to order parts for it. Hobie website was not helpful and thought your hive mind might know the answer. The bearings actually looked pretty good, but the end race, one that is nearest the kayaker, is getting distorted and should be replaced, I think.
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=6249D6DE
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=624A5A5C
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=6249640D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Possible the chains are too tight? That is a lot of wear. The factory is working on races and bearing changes. Not sure when or if the changes have happened. This drive is complex and the different materials required for strength vs bearing surfaces collide. Glass-filled nylon is strong but is abrasive. I believe they changed from the molded bearing type that often had voids causing the bearing to flatten... to a better rod material. So we are trying to address issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, I'm glad the Hobie factory is addressing the issue as it seems a lot of owners are facing similar issues. The bearings this time looked pristine with no flat or cracked rods, even in the one with a worn race, which was good. When I had the spine replaced by Hobie in Nov 2021 under warranty and it was sent back to me with NO flex on the drive chains. I had read your comment about chain tightness before and immediately loosened up the drive chains so they at least had some flex to them. I could probably pinch them together a 1/4 or 3/8 inch or so. I wasn't suffering from stripped sprockets at all. The bearing races for the other ones were very good looking with no scoring. What is Hobie's policy on warranty of replacement parts like the spine unit? It would be nice just to replace the scored race and not the whole spine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

It is an assembly with all the control lines running through the sprockets, so we only have the spine as a whole assembly. Too much labor and skills go into trying to break it down more. File another warranty. If out of warranty... at minimum we would offer a highly discounted part.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt! I'll give it a try!
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, Hobie came through and I now have a new spine in my HD180. Need to test but rain is keeping us off the water for now. Just for fun, I put my old spine with a bad race back together and found that the race which was bad was missing one of the Delrin bearings! I am extremely careful when dismantling the spine as it is full of bearings and use an old muffin tin to divide the parts in order of installation. I had some Delrin stock so I cut a replacement for it and buttoned it up. I think the damaged race will affect the drive somewhat if I ever reinstall it. I have a feeling the drive spine as it came from Hobie originally was missing the one bearing which contributed to the failure as the other bearings and races were pristine after 6 months of weekly use.