Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish Finder - 07 Outback
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I just purchased an 07 Outback a few days ago. Spent my first time fishing on the 5th. Unfortunately the hotest for that day on record, 108 here in Sacramento, but was still fun.

Decided fishing would be a lot more productive with a fish finder. I have seen a few on the Internet that look promising. Wanted to get any informed opinions that might be out there. I will be fishing fresh water lakes and am not interested in anything over 100'. Most of the time I will be in 15 to 50.

Aside from any models you might recomend, my primary question is the transducer mount. I have seen floating, suction cup, and inside mount. I don't want to drill the hull for a fixed mount. How are the suction cup mounts? How do most of you mount yours?

Any help would be appreciated.

(Maiden voyage, only went about a mile in four hours... really enjoyed it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

congrats on your new purchase. I rather new at this as well. I mounted a humminbird 565 on my outback via the sail mast. I really didn't want to drill either. For the transducer mount i got a 3/4 piece of pvc to fit in the right side scupper hole in the back of the boat. I mounted the transducer on the bottom of the pipe and then i wrapped it with electrical tape to tighten the fit so the pipe didn't slide while in the scupper hole. I think the pipe size was cut to a 5 or 51/2 inch piece. It works extremely well. The next thing is finding a safe place to store the wire for the transducer. extremely long. I will post pictures this week. Hope this helps. Also if i could do it over again...i'd mount a gps/fish finder not just a finder...its always good to have the gps...you never know where your ambitions will take you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:04 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I like to mount the transducer in the front hatch right in front of the mast holder. Make sure you installs all transducers in front of the mirage drive, the action of the drive will "smoke' the screen with the turbulence.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I found an Eagle Fisheasy 245DS that looks very similar to the one on Hobie's accessory pages at Cabalas (no I don't work for them or their affiliates) for $69. New units on closeout. If anyone else is looking it seemed like a really good deal.

I got a bunch of other stuff to mount it, some dry bags, leashes and so on. Wife is gonna kill me if I don't stop for a while :)

I found a good article on installation also.

How to install a fishfinder in your yak

I will post when I finish and tell you how it went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cabelas was out of the finders for a while, should be delivered tomorrow. Have been fishing again. Floated over a ton of really active 1.5 to 2 foot trout. They were ignoring everything I threw at them, but I will be ready for them this weekend. If I can't catch them I will record them. Got an underwater camera that arrived today. Did catch a couple of little guys that I let go. I did get one bluegill worth keeping but I don't like them on my dinner plate so I cut him loose. He was really good at playing dead. Picture below, he did swim away unharmed.

If you want a laugh, when I first launched and peddled to my destination I set up my line and went to squeeze some trout gravy on the bait. I flipped the top, nothing. I thought there might have been a seal inder the cap so I took the cap off. Then I did a really stupid thing. I looked straight down the neck and squeezed. About a third of the bottle came out, covering my shirt, sweat pants, face, sunglasses and favorite hat. If the container is to be believed trout should have been attacking me :)

My wife washed the shirt and pants four times after presoaking. She used heavy bleach each time. When she was done she brought them out to me and after sniffing them, they went straight to the garbage can. When I squirted myself, I immediately thought about how really stupid it was, and I couldn't believe I had done it. I think I entertained a few bank fishermen. My wife also enjoyed the ride home...