Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Saturday I caught a 5 ft Aligator Gar about 100 yards from the "Ernies II" launch on Christmas Bay near San Louis Pass, Texas. There I am on my lonesome happily yak-fishing away on my AI, catching numerous reds, when a series of massive near surface turbulences started occuring in my area. Let me tell you, I had shivers going up and down my spine. Then over the next hour I started seeing the unknown fish breaching in quick rushes in a "Nessy" like manner, with just a smooth hump showing. I had no idea what it was, other than friggin' big. I would have thought a small dolphin if there had been a dorsal fin, since it seemed to be breaching for gulps of air. Despite my nervousness, I cast towards it with my poppng cork and piggy bait. After a time it hit, and I then had twenty minutes of mad fun. Long runs and rapid returns, many trying to earn a tangle below my yak. When the line did tangle in my rudder I jumped out into the 3-4 foot deep water, quickly untangled the line and fought the rest from there. Was then finally able to bring him to my (large) net, which was less than half the size needed. Up close I saw by it's nasty toothy jaw, and it's large scales it was the dinasur of fish, an Aligator Gar. At that point, made decision to release. It's girth was 16 to 18 inches. My estimate was 70 to 80 lbs. An afternoon I won't forget for a while. For sure I wish I had a buddy with a camera that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank God you were standing in the water. That way nobody would notice if you wet your pants!

Glad all went well.

How far down into the toothy mouth did you have to go to get your lure back before release? (can't let no gator get away with your best lure)