Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some buddies of mine have talked me into a 2 day paddling/fishing trip down Pine Creek Gorge in northern PA in mid-April. The river is mostly Class 1 with some Class 2 rapids. I plan on taking my Outback, and I was wondering what I should wear on my feet. I have been primarily a warm-weather / lake kayaker, and I really don't think my old ratty sneakers would be a good idea with expected tempratures in the low 40's. I was thinking of wearing my hip waders and rolling them down below my knees when using the mirage drive. Has anyone ever tried this? Other suggestings for cold weather footwear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So you are planning to take your Outback down class 1&2 rapids? Sureley not what they designed it for, but have fun. Watch the drive if you even put it in. Scraping and banging noises involving your drive will probably turn your stomach a bit.

I am moving from SC to NY in about a week and have been giving a lot of thought to what I was going to wear for all the cold weather fishing in my future. Thinking about a wet suit for the body. As for the feet, this is what I have been thinking of so far:

Some kind of dive boots
http://www.diversdirect.com/groups/dive-boots_ID103

Not bad at $40. I would actually like something more like a sock (no boot style sole) because I already have a pair of these:
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_det ... sku=110230

These are great for the warm weather too.

Hope this gives you a few ideas at least. Have fun out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:33 am 
Hobie Team Member

Living in central New Hampshire, we fish cold water conditions quite a bit in Spring and Fall. Right now there is still a good 2 to 2-1/2 feet of ice on most lakes but we'll be fishing by the end of April. Besides cold water, there is the cold air to be thinking about in an open cockpit Sit On Top kayak.

For the past four seasons I have been wearing Chota neoprene socks that I pull the tops up over the latex ankle gasket on the dry pants. Over that I wear a pair of neoprene side zipper paddeling/wading boots with a good rubber gripping sole. I then wrap the velcro closure of the dry pants over the top of the boots.

There is a bit of water that seeps into the boots while wading but warms up quickly like in a good wet suit. Even on the coldest of days, such as when the eyelets on your fishing rod keep freezing shut, I have never had cold feet.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to erveryone for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Lionfan,

How did the OB fair in the Class 1 and 2 rapids? I want to take mine up to Virginia's Shenandoah South Fork, and I'm leary about all the Class 1 and 2's.

Let me know...e-mail me at [email protected] .

Phillip

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try nrs.com

They have many choices..