Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just saw the threads of mounting a ff in the sailmast opening of a revo. Now I seem to remember that there is a ram ball mount that fits in this opening. I thought Matt said they specially developed it for hobie. Is this correct, what is the serial number and where can I order it?

p.s.1 is there a posibility to mount two flyrod holders on one ram mount ball?
p.s.2 is there a formula for the balls :lol: 1inch ff, 1,5 inch rodholder or something like that?

SL Andor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to put a Ram Rod holder on my sail mast also. I have a Outback. I wish that every item came in both 1'' & 1 1/2. I want to rig my ff and a couple of rod holders. 8)
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

This is the smaller ball for now. We have not yet set this up to buy from RAM, so not sure how long till we get them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just so happens that I am trying to figure out what size myself, I see that the wedge mount comes in both sizes 1" & 1.5", Matt or anyone else know if there is one that is more popular in product design(1" vs 1.5")..I want a flyrod holder for my sailmast, but just like my Hobie I dont want to be limited, so I have the option to buy different types of Rod Holders for different Applications...........plus I have the Hobie FF install kit and I believe it was a 1" ball that came with it........Thankx,.......Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the 1" wedge mount from KFS. I had to cut off approx 1/4" from the "top" of the wedge to get a good sug fit. Works like a charm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We currently carry both size wedge mounts in our catalog.

part # 72023015 (for the 1.5") and 72023016 (for the 1") To order from your nearest Hobie dealer, call toll free 1800hobie49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My problem is not with who carried both, the problem is to balance out the whole outfit example: a 1" ball to 1"ball, so if I get a 1" ball and find out that I want 4-5 rod holders or acc., and all of these come with 1.5 ball then I have a problem.......Now if they make all acc with both 1" and 1.5" then I cant make a mistake........Thankx.........Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Ram wedge is a smaller ball. Since its mostly for a ff or camera it doent need to be bigger. The rod holders are the bigger ball "more surface to grab"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the 1" Ram Wedge in the mast hole for my camera. It works great. You can go on Ram's site and build your own from their components. It takes a week for them to ship standard to the east coast where I live. It's worth the wait because it is a soild mount system that is very clean looking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here's what I used (and a walmart $10.00 cutting board) I had the 1" system, returned it and went all 1-1/2" balls

I mounted 2 rodholders, a GPS, a FF, a compass, transducer and folding arm, and have room to drill holes for pliars, tools, mount battery, etc.

The 1-1/2" ball wedge mast mount gives a litttle more grip for my heavier "table" setup, and the 1-1/2" electronics mount sits higher (it's taller) than the 1" one, allowing easier access to hatch, etc. Plus, all my rodholders/stabilizer pontoon tube thingies etc. are 1-1/2" it also comes with a round base 1-1/2" ball which I mounted in the right-hand tray, in case I move a rodholder or my table or sponson/outrigger dealie.

RAM's number RAP-354U wedge mount 1-1/2" ball $12.48
Hobie Number 72023015 ACCESSORY TUBE WEDGE MOUNT 1.5" http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/ka ... _12-13.pdf
The RAP-354 RAM Ball Wedge Base with 1.5 inch RAM rubber ball expands to accommodate holes from 7/8”- 1” diameter and locks in tight. Simply slide the wedge into the round opening of your sail port or rod holder base and tighten the screw. No drill required.
Compatible Base Types:
Scotty™ bases
Fish-On™ bases
Hobie Kayaks with sail mount ports 7/8”- 1” diameter

ram2 Ram Electronic Mount (1-1/2"Ball) ($42.99 from KFS) http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/store/ ... onicMounts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is some set up! I didn't think I could get that much stuff on my PA. I think that 1.5 inch ball is a good idea with all that gear. I hadn't considered the better grip it might provide. You must do a great deal of trolling or drift fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RPB - Amazing set-up! I feel so primitive. Have you had any issues with the rudder lines inside the hull chafing on the ends of the rodholder bolts? I haven't had the guts to drill into mine yet, but really haven't found a good spot to mount my rodholder that's in reach, and won't result in the ends of the mounting bolts sticking down into the runs for the rudder lines ('09 Outback)...don't care so much about up/down, but losing left/right rudder a good ways from home would be mighty annoying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jpeight wrote:
RPB - Amazing set-up! I feel so primitive. Have you had any issues with the rudder lines inside the hull chafing on the ends of the rodholder bolts? I haven't had the guts to drill into mine yet, but really haven't found a good spot to mount my rodholder that's in reach, and won't result in the ends of the mounting bolts sticking down into the runs for the rudder lines ('09 Outback)...don't care so much about up/down, but losing left/right rudder a good ways from home would be mighty annoying

09 Outback here too ...
No problems with chafing becuse it took me weeks of planning the placements, sticking my head in using lights/shadows and drilling in the right spots, triple checking where the lines go, etc etc planning/preparation. Soooo, the lines aren't really near enough or close enough to touch any bolt or nut. I spent a lot of hours in 100 degree sun with my head stuck inside all the hatches, sweating lol. People would come visit and find me, like an Ostrich in the back yard with my head inside. The SS bolts I used are just long enough for a washer +eyepad+nut. I tried longer bolts up front, but got tired of screwing so long in the heat. So, I got shorter SS bolts at my local TruValue hardware store in the Stainless Steel bolts/washers/nuts boxes..

Yes, I do love trolling a lot, whether there are fishin the lake or not, and often also use multiple rods for crappie with float-n-fly setups whiole almost deadsticking a worm on another while throwing a swimbait on another.

I like to have enough convenient places to quicly park a rod I'm holding so I can grab another one quickly if needed..... plus park/move the net, stakeout pole, flagpole, stern light, umbrella, etc etc etc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RPB, tell us about the trolling rig, please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We are having record heat, so, lately I anchor up under bridges and use maybe 4 or 6 front rodholders for float-n-fly rigs for crappie and 1 or two for plastic worms (almost deadsticked), but I usually troll with just two 7-foot rods sitting in the 2 ram tubes nearest the seat, rods angled forward and out, so I see the rod tips, and fast to grab since near. Lakes near me are low because of our record draught, so I'll troll topwaters due to the submerged tree limbs etc, but normally we troll silver rattletraps for white bass.

The Chromed PVC Crosses behind the seat I use more to hold stuff. Also, there's 2 scotty rodholders on the stern, (salvaged from my prior kayak) one holds fly rod (rarely used or taken) another is a scotty tube, rarely used, but there if I want it to poke my flagpole/sternlight in or whatever.

I probably could troll with more rods at various angles, but I don't.

My old paddle kayak only had 4 rodholders and I was always looking for a place to set stuff, usually tangling leashes, lines and everything and/or dropping stuff overboard (3 rods last year, but truthfully, I threw 2 of those in "accidently on purpose" so I could upgrade, one fell in by accident while turning around to PVC crosses behind me to get a rod and to unhook a leash) I have no left hand, that's why I park stuff in front more now, and behind me is more for net, light, flag, umbrella, other non-rod stuff.