Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classic
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to the site and I have a Hobie Mirage Classic. Wondering how good a kayak it is. Is it any good in the ocean, like launching it from the surf? What about fishing? I have installed some rod holders and an anchor trolley system. I personally like the unit, that is why I converted it into a fishing kayak. Should there be anything I should worry about? Weight, performance, etc?

I want to use it mainly out in the Outerbanks, NC area and the Chesapeake Bay area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have personally never seen one, but I hear they are pretty nice. They are pretty similar to the newer models, but they just don't have all of the features like rod holders, as many hatches, cubbys etc. It should be a good fishing yak though and it sounds like you already have modded a few things like a lot of us do. Enjoy it.

Post up a few pics of the mods you have done, I always love to see them to get new ideas for mine.

Post subject: Re: Classic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Mirage Classic! Love it! It is the best in all sorts of conditions and extremely fun and stable in wind and waves!

Where the paddlers are flopping around in whitecaps I'm flying along enjoying myself.

I've been really interested in the updates that have happened to the Mirage kayaks but still really like mine. The only thing that I don't like is that my little dog doesn't like to ride behind me in the storage area but wants to be up front and there is no place for him to sit.

Post subject: Re: Classic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sound side any where from Oregon Inlet to the Bodie Island lighthouse once upon a time was good fishing.

Beware of Diamond Shoals!!! Lots of big sharks about a mile south of there. When the Big Blues are running it could be interesting.