Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love days like this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/71 ... directlink

I have found I can peddle my Outback just the perfect speed to make a C10 Redfin irresistable to a hungry striper. I love to rock out while I fish so I have my iPod cranked up and earbuds in, which is probably good because when a striper hits one of these topwater baits it really makes your heart jump and sometimes one might react to quickly and pull the bait away. When I'm rockin' out I just wait tho see my rod bent over in the rodholder, pick it up and go for a ride!

It has been unusally wet and cloudy in Arkansas this year, the past week did not have a good sunny day. The water temperature on the lake was in about 68, just right!

I launched the yak just after daylight and there was a light rain, it rained heavy on the way, so I was relieved to just have a light rain to peddle in. Thankfully I dressed warm and wore my waders for the first time since shorts weather.

It didn't take long to hitch up with the first striper of the day, a 9 lb beauty caught trolling the trout colored 10" redfin, I circled the area and hooked another but it pulled me around and tangled itself up in submerged timber, dang there goes $5.95 + tax! I would lose 2 more redfins during the day, but it was well worth it :)

By 10:00am, I had 2 stripers on the stringer, the 9lb'er and an 11lb'er. Those were both caught trolling, I hadn't really seen any breaking fish. Since I'm rockin' out I have to see them, since I can't hear anything other than what's blasting from my iPod nano. I decide to troll on along toward Cedar Fourche and try some bass fishing, since stripers usually are morning and evening feeders.

I wasn't having much luck with the bass, I landed one pickeral on a crankbait and decided to change locations, about which time I saw big splashes back toward the main lake! So I peddled on down to the mouth of Cedar Fourche where the water is about 100 feet deep and there were several big splashes going on, and as I trolled my redfin toward the activity my bait shot about 6 feet in the air as a striper hit it and missed; however, it must have wrapped the line around a hook because he hit again as soon as it landed this time he had it, but the line broke almost immediately.

Of course, I always have 3 bait casts and 2 spinning rods rigged for various methods, since the fish were breaking I unplugged my earphones so i could use all my senses and started throwing a Super Spook at breaking fish. The first cast toward a swirl resulted in a 15lb beast.

Of course by the time I got that fish played, and on the stringer, the activity had quit. it was about 1pm by then. I decided that it would be in my best interest to just fish for stripers the rest of the day. I already had a limit so the remainder of the day was just catch and release.

It was a good decision, I ended up hooking up with least 6 more, some made to the boat to be released, some fought for there own freedom. All were at least as big as my first fish, some probably bigger than 15 lbs. By the end of the day I peddled over 8 miles and had the best day ever! Here's the fish that went home with me:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SX ... directlink
It's gonna be a great fall for this kayak fishin' fanatic!!!

Good luck all![code][/code]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pete, I need to get down to Ouachita and try that. My PA has had some luck with the Brown Trout on the Little Red lately. None as big a your stripers though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great, come on down! Let me knw when and I'll join you. I went again last Friday and caught a 14b:

http://picasaweb.google.com/petegreenwa ... directlink

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

peteg wrote:
I love to rock out while I fish so I have my iPod cranked up and earbuds in, which is probably good because when a striper hits one of these topwater baits it really makes your heart jump and sometimes one might react to quickly and pull the bait away. When I'm rockin' out I just wait tho see my rod bent over in the rodholder, pick it up and go for a ride!

Hey peteg,

I mean no disrespect and I know I am new to this forum but.
You really need to rethink "Rockin out your Ipod with the earbuds in your ears while in your kayak. I have an ipod as well and love to jam with it, just not on the kayak!
You need to keep all your senses in play while on the water in a small vessel like a kayak. Power boaters some times do not see us yakers. We need to use our ears to listen for Boat engines barreling down on us. I fish in small creeks and large waterways and boaters are almost always an issue during a fishing trip. Your ears are probably your most valuable asset against a boat coming from behind you. Disaster can happen in a matter of seconds. The early warning of the sound of an outboard engine your ears can pick up may give you time to take evasive action. Some boaters can be pre-occupied with alot of things like towing skiers, watching fishfinders, sight seeing, etc... The profile of a fisherman in a kayak is small in comparison to most other watercraft. We as kayakers NEED to be responsible for our own safety.
I have a brother that lives in Hot Springs. He fishes Lake Catherine alot. A beautiful place you have there. I sure would not want to hear about one of my Kayak Brothers being hurt or worse out there when it maybe could be prevented.
I wish you nothing but tight lines and smooth waters. I am just pointing this out to you in case someone else has not.
Here is a clip from youtube from one of my Jax Kayak fishing webpage forum members. It may help illustrate what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKTQJs8 ... r_embedded

Later, Fish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting "safety" video. Where is Mr "Safety's" PFD? Also, you could hear the boat coming. That's when I would reach for my air-blaster horn. Oh, he didnt have one of those handy either. Well that brightly colored jacket and safety flag should help make him more visible. Oh, right, his is a dark orange and black jacket. It sucks getting run over, but it takes two to be safe; and yeah, dont be wearing headphones!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SteveLIBS wrote:
Interesting "safety" video. Where is Mr "Safety's" PFD? Also, you could hear the boat coming. That's when I would reach for my air-blaster horn. Oh, he didnt have one of those handy either. Well that brightly colored jacket and safety flag should help make him more visible. Oh, right, his is a dark orange and black jacket. It sucks getting run over, but it takes two to be safe; and yeah, dont be wearing headphones!

I did not make the video. While I don't personally know Capt. Rich, I am pretty sure he has a PFD under his wind breaker. It is the law here. Take the video for what it is worth. I am just trying to help here.