Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So after my limited success last weekend, no choice but to give it another shot. Launched out of Miller's landing area and peddled south towards Caines Head. Made it almost to Derby Cove before I turned around and worked that area.

All in all it turned out to be a great day. Hooked well over 2 dozen silvers, though I was on the water for 8 hours. Seemed to go in flurries as you might suspect. Ended up with a limit mostly on cut plug trolled behind a fish flash, or when I found a school, I'd switch over and power mooch with just a cut plug and 3oz of lead. I will say most of my fish came North of Tonsina Creek so they are in close.

On the way back, I decided I had extra batteries so I burned some time trying to get some of the strikes on film right by the landing. Seems like most videos you never get to see the strike. Didn't quite turn out as well as I thought but at least you get the moment of three of the strikes on tape. Amazingly it took some time but the fish obliged!

I should note that in all three strikes and hookups, I could not have done it without the Hobie. The first two I was power mooching. Slowly moving with the current and mooching. When I got lazy and just drifted, I wouldn't get hit. The line had to be at a a slight angle in order to generate the strike.

In the trolling strike, like I do with my power boat, when I see a fish strike, I gun the engine. With the Hobie I can speed up to help set the hook AND grab the rod at the same time. Try that with a conventional paddle yak.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu57UKMiX_s[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice videos! Great technique. I was in Seward last September - beautiful place. Any chance you know a Ben Collier from Seward?