Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Florida Keys
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just spent two weeks on Vacation in Marathon Florida. I spent most of my time working the Mangroves and Flats. I got the Sea Trout fishing live shrimp at the mouth of a canal. I also had a 2' Hammerhead shark, Barracuda, and Mangrove Snapper. I need to get a camera set up on the boat. These were from my phone.

Post subject: Re: Florida Keys
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Love fishing down there! Thanks for sharing your pics....nice trout btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great trout!

I am going to the Keys at the end of March, did you bring your own kayak or did you rent one? I am staying near Big Pine and will either be looking for a guide or a rental?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

makappraiser wrote:
Great trout!

I am going to the Keys at the end of March, did you bring your own kayak or did you rent one? I am staying near Big Pine and will either be looking for a guide or a rental?

I brought one. Hobie dealers are north in Key Largo or South in Key West not sure if they rent though. I have a 14' Enclosed Trailer that we haul down so it was no problem. I looked a little into finding a guide down there just to find some local spots and tips. Spent most of my time working the mangrove flats and back water. Live Shrimp works for most things down there. I also had good luck with Gulp Shrimp on a Jig head for Barracuda in the Flats. The bridges in and out of Big Pine should hold some good fish. If you haven't been, check out No Name Pub while your there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice trout :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great pics, Keu. We are looking into vacationing in the lower keys this summer and have never been. Were you close enough to kayak into the backcountry where the waters are clear for swimming like this: http://www.keyskayaking.com/
Or would a mother boat be necessary from most rentals?

We want to kayak down there so bad but want to stay somewhere close enough to access waters like in the link without renting a boat or using an outfitter.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The water is clear like in your pictures everywhere down there! We go down a couple times a year and stay on Big Pine Key. There's usually 10ft of visibility or so. It's an amazing place and finding fish isn't hard to do. Anywhere on the flats you'll be able to catch snapper (of several varieties). Hit some of the deeper channels to find snapper, grouper, grunts, and a huge variety of other species. There are trout and redfish, tarpon and bonefish, and plenty of sharks and rays. Sea turtles roam the flats as well as dolphins and manatees. All of which you'll be able to see relatively easily by just paddling/pedaling out from shore.

The trick to catching the fish is to buy a couple boxes of chum, and a chum bag. Find an area with some type of drop off like a bomb hole or channel edge. Hang a bag of chum over the side and wait a few minutes for the slick to take effect. Then simply free line a live shrimp back into the chum slick and hold on!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

@makappraiser,

Robbie's http://www.robbies.com in Islamorada rents Hobies. There is a little rental shack in their parking lot along with all kinds of flea market style kiosks. Robbie's is a fun little tourist trap.

Florida Bay Outfitters http://www.kayakfloridakeys.com in Key Largo also rents and sells Hobies.