Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rancho Leonero Roosters
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We (HOLY TOLEDO my son and I) were invited to a Fathers, Sons, and Buddies boat tourney at the East Cape in Baja. We were flying in a few days prior to the even so we figured if we are going all that way why not go to Rancho Leonero for a couple days and get a head start on the rest of the group. It's a bit early in the year for most of the fish within kayak range but we gave it a shot.

A few hours after our arrival at I ran into Gary who runs the fishing program at The Ranch and he made arrangements to have a couple Hobie PA 12's delivered to the beach...SWEET. The next morning I waited at the dock at first light to get a panga ride out to the bait boat and picked up a half dozen feisty caballitos...the only live bait at this time of year. I pedaled out to the reefs and began fly lining one of the huge baits. A couple hours went by without even seeing any surface action so I headed to the beach to troll the surf ....well ...more like a kayak wake than surf. Within minutes I was HOOKED UP with a small rooster on my two piece Ugly Stick and quickly CPR'd the little monster. By then it was time for lunch and a well need break so I headed in.

After lunch I decided to get back out in the "surf" and give it another go after reloading the live well with fresh bait that we keep in a Promar collapsible net (another sweet tool to have in Baja) we keep hanging from the portable dock. The tough part of fishing with live bait is having to out run them to keep them from hiding under the kayak. You can cast them out and run a full speed only to find the little bugger still with you. Now back in the shallows with my dog running about fifty feet away on his leash it was only took minutes to hook up again...this fish being just a bit bigger than the first....again...cpr'd. I baited up again and soon after my clicker began to zzzzzz like crazy so thumbed the barrel a bit and slid the reel into gear....FISH ON!. This fish had some shoulders and took me out to the reef and back on a glorious slay ride. Patrick was on the beach camera in hand as I jumped out of the boat for a couple quick pics and release. The wind was up and with four more days to fish (boat tourney) I called it a day.

Hanging out at The Ranch and having access to the Hobie PA12's was a great way to start our East Cape adventure!

Photos and the rest of the story......http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=47055.0