Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing A Mirage Classic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If anyone is interested in sailing the Mirage Classic, I built a front hatch mount for the Hobie Sail out of plywood and one inch Schedule 80 PVC electrical conduit. The conduit is held in place by one inch steel EMT conduit clamps and SS hardware. The plywood is clamped to the front hatch flange using a round piece of plywood split in half (to allow insertion through the hatch) and SS carriage bolts through the front piece of plywood using wing nuts. Four of the hatch mount screws are removed and new two inch screws are inserted through the plywood into the hatch flange to prevent rotational torque from the sail. The hatch is angled toward the front of the boat which pitches the sail forward as well. This does not seem to affect the sailing characteristics at all.

The Classic is a light boat and it flies in the lightest of winds. I was able to do a 3/4 mile upwind sail on my second outing. I did cheat and pedal through several of the tacks. Stability while sailing in gusty winds is tenuous and amas would be a help. Also, the Turbo fins on the Mirage Drive and larger rudder would probably help as well.

If this post sparks enough interest, I'll post photos to the forum. I do not have an account yet with Image Shack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Don,
I'm very interested in seeing those pics. I've learned a lot from the ideas posted on these forums.
You don't need to set up an account to post pics. You can just use the service without registering. This post may help:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9237

Post subject: Photos !!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Stringy for the help uploading photos.

Hatch Mount Details

Hatch Mount

Sailing the Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done Don! Great innovation!
Nice work. 8)
It would be good to see more detail. The 640 x 480 size pics would better highlight your handywork.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Detail of Front of Hatch Mount

Detail of Rear of Hatch Mount

Sailing the Classic

The photos were taken prior to several coats of enamel paint and better sealing on the rear. The hatch mount has two methods of attachment; the clamping action of the carriage bolts with wing nuts and the four screws into the hatch flange. I left all six screws in the hatch flange and attached the clamp, aligned the mast tube, and tightened the wing nuts. The heads of the six flange screws made indentations into the plywood. I used this to drill the four holes. I slightly drilled the two remaining holes to give the screw heads room. The hatch flange screws when installed by Hobie were not aligned square with the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Don, welcome to the forum. Great adaptation! The old Classic is a fun boat and I always wondered how it would take to sailing. How does the helm balance feel -- does it have a tendency to head up into, or bear off from the wind?

The Turbofins turn the Classic into a little hot rod, besides giving you a little more "centerboard". Stringy has made a "Twist N Stow" adapter to the old rudder system that is really cool, on which he mounted the larger rudder; and Kepnutz made an excellent rudder sleeve with winglet that fits right over the original. Both sail their boats and report the larger rudders make a big difference.

Check through their postings to find their projects. Too Bad we don't have a "How To" section. 8)

Post subject: Sailing Characteristics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It tends to head into the wind. It seems very easy to sail upwind and somewhat less easy to sail downwind, although both are no problem. I live on a 70 acre lake and the most unnerving characteristic is wind gusts with wind shifts that make the boat quickly heel. Adds an unusual level of excitement for my 57 year old body. The boat is really fast in the lightest of breezes and suicidal for winds over 15 MPH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just saw your post re sailing the Classic. If you can share some pics of your modification that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don, I just bought an old Classic and was wondering how I was going to get a sail on her. Looks like you have plowed a lot of water for me on that one. Sure looks like good work. Have you made any more modifications and if so, how did they work out (rudder ect).

Thanks for leading the way.