Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailing with both sails unfurled without sidekicks in that wind?! :shock: You must be a tough guy! (don't go any further or I start to think of other qualifications ;) ). I can imagine that you need a little concentration to stay upright under those conditions... And you must have the record for the fastest upwind oasis sailing without pedaling ever (the record everyone has been waiting for!). I just hope this helps, since I understand that this trip (likely triggered by us forum-guys) was mainly suffering, while you could have been sailing luxuriously in your AI-yacht! ;)
All joking apart, I do appreciate your data as it makes clear the upwind capabilities of the oasis.

Why exactly do you find it easier to sail close hauled? Is that because you can luff easier? Or has the wave action something to do with it? I think I agree (for strong winds), but I am curious what your ideas are. It is not entirely obvious, since you also heel the most when close hauled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G’Day Skua,
Not tough so much as stupid I’d say - but I was trying to get some data!
I didn’t break any speed records either as sailing so close to the wind is much slower than reaching of course! My average speed for this quick test was only 3.4 km/h. :(
The wind chop didn’t help either. If I had headed away from the wind a bit more it would have been a lot faster but I felt I was close to capsizing a couple of times.
And yes, the reason I prefer sailing close-hauled upwind is that you can luff quickly to prevent a capsize by pointing more into the wind. The one and only time I have capsized was going downwind!
Next time I’ll wait for calmer conditions to get more data soloing the Oasis. :wink: