Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: sailing the revo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any of those devices that clamp down on a ball assembly will not LOCK inplace. Its is just surface area grip on the ball your depending on. No matter how hard I cranked down on the tension (even with the ball surface ruffed up) it would never grip hard enough to stop the leverage that a decent fish would apply on a bite. So I found myself setting the drag way too loose to compensate. They make a nice clean looking install and mount, but not really full up duty for the rod function or any function where significant leverage might be applied IMO. thats why I drilled and pinned them. The Pin is a quick disconnect and still removeable so position can be changed or the tube layed flat. For your purpose I would choose the Scotty,,,I have one and it locks in 2 directions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sammy925 wrote:
Any of those devices that clamp down on a ball assembly will not LOCK inplace. Its is just surface area grip on the ball your depending on. No matter how hard I cranked down on the tension (even with the ball surface ruffed up) it would never grip hard enough to stop the leverage that a decent fish would apply on a bite. So I found myself setting the drag way too loose to compensate. They make a nice clean looking install and mount, but not really full up duty for the rod function or any function where significant leverage might be applied IMO. thats why I drilled and pinned them. The Pin is a quick disconnect and still removeable so position can be changed or the tube layed flat. For your purpose I would choose the Scotty,,,I have one and it locks in 2 directions.

Interesting. That is certainly a good point. The adjustment on the scottys are not easy to deal with. If, I'm thinking about the same scotty rod holer you are. You can only easily adjust it up and down. If you want to adjust it around to the back of the boat (to get them out of the way) you have to basically disasemble the holder and re-position it. The Ram mounts seem much more easily adjustable. I guess that's the trade off. Ram easier to adjust, Scotty better locking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Al, I use The Scotty flush mount base 244L for port and starboard which has a locking tab for the post that goes into it. Just push the tab and lift up a lil and you can rotate the whole Rod holder portion 360 forward or aft with out taking it all the way out of the base. This is what is on my Ram tube ball for starboard and the liberator mount on port. I was not sure which one I would go with (scotty or ram) and want to drill just once when i initially set it up so I went with the scotty base in case i wanted to switch to the scotty rod holder or occasionally go slick for transport. I use the Ram to Scotty adaptor 1 inch ball on starboard for ram tube mounting. The post fit is not exact but can be adapted and if you don't like it ,,,switch. The liberator mounting post is an exact fit for Scotty's. Believe me, no disassembly at all, in fact when I'm underway i swing the liberator mount outboard about 30 degress to give more room in the cockpit. Just push the tab, slight lift, swing out, then let it drop back in and tab relock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again. Good info. I'm going to have to look into the rod holder situation some more. I don't think I've done enough homework yet.

I wonder if the Gimbal mount would work:
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... 253/Detail

With a tube rod holder like this:
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... 350/Detail

Need to make a trip to Fishing Tackle Unlimited or Austin Kayack to actually play with some of these.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your gunna put that gimbal mount in the hobie moulded in rod holders then no. That requires a gimbal pin at the bottom of the hobie rod holder to keep it from spinning in the holder. Thats what the notches are for at the bottom of that extended gimbal mount, look close. Plus why would you want it setting up so high of the deck/gunnels,,,,more bad leverage on the base and gunnels of the hobie yak. Thats for an actual boat flush mount rod holder which most if not all have a gimbal pin. You might consider that up forward to clear the peddles with the Scotty mounts because the long Rod buts will stick thru and get in the way of the peddleing. Even with the below mounted rod holders the end butts will probably get in the way. I just could not find room when peddeling for anything inboard (knees/feet) unless way, way, forward,, but then its to far to reach for the rod and puts you in a compromised position.

Your second choice would work and I have that exact one. I would suggest setting the rod holder portion in the 244L base like I did, the 244L base has the locking tab and rotates a lil easier.