Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach,
How did you determine the length of the outrigger posts (distance from floats to RAM rod holder)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey dueitt,
Simply by measuring how far towards the stern I could carry the floats up on deck without interefering with the rudder. My original thought here was that during a long trip with maybe a lot of chop, I might want to carry the outriggers with the floats folded up on the deck while the arms were still attached to the ball mounts. I could then easily swing them around for fishing when I got to my destination. Turns out that was kind of an idle thought, since I have yet to carry them folded up on deck at all. Once I get to the launch site, and if I plan to use the outriggers that trip, I might as well just put them on normally extended to the side. Another reason for not carrying them up on deck is that my crate intererfered with actually carrying them that way, although that could have been worked around. Turned out that my original arm length of about 30 inches was just fine for good stabiity anyway, although if someone wished they could easily add another 6-12 inches to each arm I would think. However, that might cause additional flexing issues while underway in chop, so I have stuck with my original length. Of course, the way I designed mine, one could easily use different arm lengths for different applications if they so desired. If you used some care in the original design and construction, it should not be hard to swap the arms out later as needed, while retaining the original floats and attachment points. Just my $.02 worth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Apalach. As usual you have been very helpful and informative. I was also considering the ability to 'store' the outriggers as you had mentioned, but will take into consideration that either use them or leave them in the truck. Another question, how often do you find yourself with just one outrigger out and a rod in the other RAM? Thanks again.

Regards,

Dueitt2s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another good question. In fact, I had planned on doing that very thing this season--just try it with one outrigger on the side that I turn towards to get stuff out of my ice chest, and use the other for trolling. Then before I had a chance to do that, Hurricane Dennis intervened, and I have yet to get back on it. In fact, I think those single RAM rocket launcher tubes should be great as a trolling device since you can angle and position them any which way while on the water. I like to be able to watch my rod tip while trolling and think those RAM tubes, while angled out to the side, or perhaps slightly forward, would be excellent for this also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach!
Thought you'ld like some company on the Hobie blog about outriggers. We just tried out the new outrigger I made for my friend's Outback. I'd already made one for my Hobie Sport and he was so impressed with it's performance that he talked me into making one for him. We launched the Outback in the Montreal canal on the St. Laurence River. First with just the outrigger; then with the 20 sqft Hobie sail and finally with a 3 sq meter windsurfing sail. It was the 13th of November and the water was cold and winds were 15-20 mph with higher gusts. We were alone with no rescue boats available so we sayed fairly close to shore. My friend Daniel took the pix and caught me flying the ama. :D Too bad it was the last sail of the season in Montreal. We'll have to wait till next summer to race our Hobie Sport and Outback. A winter project will be making a leeboard for the Outback. Good sailing! Norman aka Punchinello
(Having trouble sending pix. I'll try later.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey punch,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie site! Was wondering when you might find your way over here. Hobie could really use some of your ideas on ama development, since they are in the process of developing their own version, as I understand it.

With regard to posting pics, you might want to try the photobucket route. That is what I have gone to, and it is a nice, clean, and easy to navigate set-up.

http://photobucket.com/

Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach! Trying to send the Pix via Photo Bucket. Hope it takes. Punch http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/t ... ackama.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/t ... iesail.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/t ... ingama.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too heck with going faster, I just want to sail without getting RSI from constantly working the Main Sheet on my Revo, its really boring and takes the fun out of sailing.
Not to mention inefficent as the boat continually slows and starts in spasms.
Once I convinced my dealer that I didnt want Sidekick's in order to go faster but merely so I can hold one speed & course he relinquished and is shipping the kit.

Watching all the Kayak-Sailing videos I could find on YouTube I came across a guy sailing an inflatable Yak with OR's on the front, he said this:
"The floats hold the sail more vertical where it works more efficiently and the extra thrust generated by not heeling as much compensates for any added drag from the floats".
This seemed to make sense to me.