Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent paddle/pedal up Pine Creek to the Bongil Bongil National Park today with 15 other ppl.

This is not news to the experienced Yak sailors, I have read here about Pedalling augmented sailing but I didnt really understand what it meant until today.

Discovered something interesting while returning into a 12 knot headwind.
Hobie can sail closer to the wind if you pedal a bit because it holds your chosen course with rudder better.
Point boat into the wind, draw sail tight, pedal for a speed of about 3mph, (normal pedal cruise), then angle boat off the wind about 20 Deg.
Bingo the sail generates lift, the load on the pedals decreases and the speed increases to 3.5mph!
Actually penetrates headwind faster and with less effort than pedalling alone.
Of course you are tacking towards your destination not travelling in a straight line, but hey we're having fun!
------------------------------------------------------
I am adding a Tensioned Batten to my Revo sail foot to reduce luff and bellying when set for downwind runs in light winds.
The Revo sail doesnt wrap around the mast so thats not a prob and it still folds parralel to the mast for stowing.
I also planned to add a Whisker Pole, to hold the sail out in light breezes.
However after reading the "Barber Hauler for AI" post I wonder if I could do something similar with my upcoming Sidekick OR setup and not need a pole.
It may even be simpler to construct than the AI rig 'cos the Sidekick floats are so close to the Kayak you might be able to just reach out and connect a second sheet threaded via a Block & Snaphook to a connector on either side requiring only one extra sheet.
Or maybe, since it's just for downwind in light conditions, just have a longer than standard Mainsheet that you can pull out and run around a hook on the outrigger.
Any comments?