Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anybody made their own daggerboard for the Adventure? I’d like to try making my own from wood. Probably a prototype from pine and final version from mahogany. I made a rudder blade for my Holder 14 a couple years ago. I didn’t have much of a problem making the foil shape, but the Adventure will be trickier since it has to slip into the slot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it is not a daft question - why not the Hobie one ? Seems like a lot of effort !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to make one also and I have the same problem as you. That opening is a "challenge" for people like us.

I do plan to make one and here is my approach. Make the dagger blade like you would from the bottom of the kayak downward the way you said. Carry that shape all the way up through the hull and beyond to shape the handle. By doing this, you will have some unusual gaps when you look down from above.

Next remove the dagger and drill some holes through it where the hull is. Tape the inside of the dagger opening with a few layers of duct tape and put the dagger back. The opening is now your "mold". Mix some resin and under-add the hardener and pour into the mold cavity. Hopefully by going low on the hardener, it won't set too quickly and hence won't heat up the mold to much. The drilled holes will allow the resin to soak across the dagger and hold it good. Make sure the dagger is aligned straight and vertical during the drying period.

Once dry, you should be able to wiggle the whole dagger away from the duct tape and remove the tapes.

I know that you know we can spend $98.00 for a Hobie one but this is more fun and satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

HoustonYaker wrote:
I know that you know we can spend $98.00 for a Hobie one but this is more fun and satisfying.

Ditto. Anybody can slap $100 on the Visa for a new one, but I like to play with my boats in and out of the water. Tweak designs, inhale sawdust and fumes, etc. :wink:

I might carve a 100% wooden model first. Luckily we have the foam plug to use as a pattern. I like the resin idea. I will try that as well, but maybe with 1/8" aluminum as the fin.

Keep me posted on your efforts.