Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thought I would share with you how I mounted Hobie SideKicks on my Adventure. Sorry, but I did not take any pics.

My boat is an older model w/o the mounting bosses for the Islander conversion. I located the mounts where the AI aka would be, just leaving enough clearance with the scupper holes for a cart to be carried up top. I didn’t want to use the wellnuts for reasons that are stated elsewhere in the forums. Some have used locknuts inside the hull, backed up with fender washers, metal plates or plastic. I had some scrap teak left over from my sailboats, so I decided to use that. I cut two ¾" x ¾" x 4” strips. As a preservative, I soaked the teak pieces in boiled linseed oil. I’ve used this stuff on deck teak for years. It lasts a long time and is cheaper than teak oil. After drying, I pressed in 10/32 stainless steel T-nuts from Ace Hardware.

Now for the fun part. If only my arms where 12” longer. I threaded two lengths of fine wire into the hull mounting holes and ran them back to the rear hatch. Then threaded them through the teak, making sure the up side is up and tied both pieces together. Next I spread some marine sealant on the up side of the teak. I started to pull both wires through the holes in the hull. Once the block was up against the hull, I stuck a bamboo kabob skewer into one hole. That kept the pressure up to hold the block in position. Then I cut the wire in the other hole off flush with the mount and threaded in one screw to keep the teak block from falling. I pulled out the skewer and threaded in the other screw. Piece of cake. The only problem I had was doing the side with the rudder lifting lines. The lines run very close to the mounting area and I didn’t want to pinch them when tightening that block. It just took a little longer to check and re-check clearances. I lifted the lower mounts about a ¼” off the hull and ran some more sealant under each. Tightened everything up and that was that.

I want to use the SideKick centertube as a handle when moving the boat around. Not knowing how well the tube would hold up, I inserted two “nested” lengths of PVC pipe into it. The outer I believe was ¾” and the inner ½”.