Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member New Outback
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just hauled the new Outback home from White Bear Lake, MN with sail kit and wheel kit. Now I'm waiting for the ice to melt so I can hit the water. Meanwhile I'll be following some of the good suggestions many of you have posted on the forum. Plenty of time now to rig for sailing.

I'm thinking about adding a block between the aft block for the sheet and the forward cam cleat so that the sheet will route away from the seat. Anyone out there who's sailed an Outback have an idea, if the sheet runs too close to the seat without being rerouted? I just got the yak home tonight, and haven't setup the sail yet to check the alignment.

This is one of the most informative forums I've had the opportunity to visit. I'm very impressed how suggestions from this forum seem to end up in Hobie production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome totrecal

Congratulations on your new Outback. I’ll bet its cold up there. Winrider has that setup. :lol:

I have set up the sail on the Outback and the seat doesn’t seam to be in the way. Before I would start modifying it I would sail it a couple of times first. Make sure you read/follow the manuals that came with your kayak. See the Sail Kit pamphlet before attempting to sail. Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Offroad
Thanks for the advice. I've installed the block at the stern and have ordered a camcleat to install forward. I also set up the sail and checked the alignment of the sheet. It looks like it isn't going to be too close to the seat, but I will sail it a while before deciding about installing another block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

totrecal,
Welcome to the dark side of yak sailing! It is a blast!. Here are a couple of mods on my OB (and Sport) that I made a couple of years back to help avoid problems.

The main sheet on the Hobie rig loops around the port side to the stern. To make the main sheet make even more responsive, I attached a Harken 16 mm block to a SS carabiner that I had previously added to the stern handle eye strap. This gave me a clean and fairly friction-free fairlead up to the tag end of the main sheet.

The next thing I did was to add a West Marine cleat to the upper starboard side just ahead of the mid-ships handle. I then attached a SS shackle to this new cleat. This cleat also comes in handy as an anchor or leash attachment point. I then attached to the shackle a Harken 16 mm block thru which I ran the main sheet (with an overhand knot in the tag end). This tended to cut down the overall friction in the system, and to make the main sheet and sail more responsive so I could sail close-hauled and (hopefully) cut down the chance of a quick gust putting the yak and me on our beam ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach
You sure are one of the very active people on the forum and I've read or seen most everything you've posted. As an old sailor, both years sailing and human years, I like to consider as many options as possible before hitting the water. Too many mistakes have given me close calls in the past. I've found the forum extremely helpful in my process of getting ready.

I've also installed lead weights at the bottom of my pedals so they're ready when I need them. If the Hobie outriggers don't seem right, I'll be installing the Apalach versions this summer.