Welcome to the dark side of yak sailing! It is a blast!. Here are a couple of mods on my OB (and Sport) that I made a couple of years back to help avoid problems.
The main sheet on the Hobie rig loops around the port side to the stern. To make the main sheet make even more responsive, I attached a Harken 16 mm block to a SS carabiner that I had previously added to the stern handle eye strap. This gave me a clean and fairly friction-free fairlead up to the tag end of the main sheet.
The next thing I did was to add a West Marine cleat to the upper starboard side just ahead of the mid-ships handle. I then attached a SS shackle to this new cleat. This cleat also comes in handy as an anchor or leash attachment point. I then attached to the shackle a Harken 16 mm block thru which I ran the main sheet (with an overhand knot in the tag end). This tended to cut down the overall friction in the system, and to make the main sheet and sail more responsive so I could sail close-hauled and (hopefully) cut down the chance of a quick gust putting the yak and me on our beam ends.