Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a TI in May primarily for Lake Tahoe use. I called the CA DMV twice and got conflicting answers. I went to the local DMV office to register my trailer and Kayak. When I tried to register the Kayak they said it is not required. I told them about the conflicting information and they double checked and said it is not required.
If I get hassled at the Lake I will go to court and call witnesses from the DMV.
Due to the many conflicting jurisdictions It is highly unlikely I would ever get hassled at the Lake. The local gendarmes are more concerned with the tourists in rental boats and drunks out of control.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I purchased my TI the dealer assured me that registration was not required in CA and most of the boats he sold were not registered. Shortly thereafter I was stopped on the water by harbor patrol for no registration on a sailboat and got a warning. Sure enough, CA requires sailing vessels over 8 feet to be registered. If you ever put up a sail you can get cited if no reg numbers. So I went to DMV and after explaining my situation to a few agents I got registered and titled. Then the county contacted me and charged for back property taxes! FYI you also will not pass a Coast Guard vessel exam (VSE) unless registered - they uphold state requirements.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking into this now for TX, anyone know about TX DMV regarding this subject? I have a 13' Revo and 14' PA and I just bought a sail kit to use between the two.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

is registration needed for kayaks too?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

John Spear wrote:
is registration needed for kayaks too?

Texas: any vessel 14' or greater with sail = registration required

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my PA registered in the State of California. The crazy part was that DMV could not process my application when I had checked the kayak box in the Vessel Section. After reviewing the regulations with one of the DMV Supervisors, she smiled and asked me if it was a "sailboat, wink, wink", I laughed and said "yes, it was a sailboat", and then I lined out my check mark for "kayak" and checked the Sailboat box in the Vessel section. My application was then quickly processed, approved and decals issued.

The supervisor explained to me that their computer program was rejecting my application because I had checked Kayak in the Vessel Section. I understand that all non-motorized, and non-sail powered kayaks are exempt from State Registration requirements, but I find it interesting that California DMV does not recognize that some kayaks can have a few different types of propulsion, however, they kind of do, since the next Section, in the application, after "Vessel Type" is "Method(s) of Propulsion". And after reviewing the regulations with the the Supervisor, she said she now understood why a Kayak could need to be registered. So, are kayakers, with trolling motors having to list their kayaks as Motor boats (in the "Type of Vessel" Section?