Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crazy4DaRiver wrote:
Look this up if in California. Registration is HALF the cost in even numbered years VS odd.

That's only because they only charge every two years, odd years. The per year rate you pay is the same. If you first register in an even year then the cost is half, because you will get another bill the next odd numbered year but from that point on it last two years.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rockcrawler wrote:
Crazy4DaRiver wrote:
Look this up if in California. Registration is HALF the cost in even numbered years VS odd.

That's only because they only charge every two years, odd years. The per year rate you pay is the same. If you first register in an even year then the cost is half, because you will get another bill the next odd numbered year but from that point on it last two years.

Interesting. I pay every year on three boats. I'll look into this more

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At least that is how they explained it to me. I have yet to receive my first bill however :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been looking for a used Hobie Island, and haven't run into one yet for sale where the owner has registered it, or has the title.

I'm concerned that no one has title or certificate of origin to register a boat once I buy it. CA DMV says they need a title to register it not just a bill of sale. Some of my pals tell me that you can get it registered just need to hold your breath and get the right DMV person.

Where is the Hull number on a Hobie AI?

Have others just gone in with a bill of sale?

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="Fairwind"]I've been looking for a used Hobie Island, and haven't run into one yet for sale where the owner has registered it, or has the title.

I'm concerned that no one has title or certificate of origin to register a boat once I buy it. CA DMV says they need a title to register it not just a bill of sale. Some of my pals tell me that you can get it registered just need to hold your breath and get the right DMV person.

You should be able to get a certificate of origin through the dealer - even if you are not the original owner, but he may want to check with the original owner. I would just make it a condition of sale that the owner get that certificate for you.

Where is the Hull number on a Hobie AI?

on the right near the stern, the number is etched in the plastic - again, take it to a dealer, they can help. Good idea to have them give it a look over, see if it has any problems. If the owner is not willing to swing by a dealer, I would be leery. Make sure to check around the mirage drive well for any cracks in the hull!

Have others just gone in with a bill of sale?

In Washington State, they would not accept the sales receipt from the dealer, I needed to go back and get a certificate of origin.

Also, under 16 feet in Washington State is exempt, so only my TI is registered.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to keep beating this issue to death but has anyone successfully registered an AI or TI with CA?
I was stopped two weeks ago in Long Beach CA so I dropped the sail, pulled the Mirage and went on my marry little way only to find Mr Happy waiting for me at the beach with ticket book in hand. (Local beach patrol guy BTW)
The people at the DMV and Auto Club all think I'm insane and won't take my money but this time the ticket is in Long Beach so it will be a very different Judge.
DMV and Auto club will not give me any sort of letter for Court and even if found in violation it will be a fix it ticket (still get court fees)
How can you fix it when the DMV won't help? I even contacted the City of Long beach to see if there was a local sticker I could get. "You already have it." (I store my boat there)
Forget the furling sail...the next version needs a hide the mast / sail option :-)

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jmecky wrote:
Soon surfboards will need them. Imagine a DMV sticker and a hull number on a surfboard.

Every body is being turned into a criminal in the country, to many damn laws.

Too many damn lawyers if you ask me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Crazy4DaRiver wrote:
Sorry to keep beating this issue to death but has anyone successfully registered an AI or TI with CA?

Yes, I registered both my brand new TI and my old AI. For the AI I had to get a new certificate of origin from Hobie. My dealer worked with Hobie to get it.
In addition to the certificate I had to provide DMV with copies of the sales receipts and had to specifically show that I had paid sales tax on them. Otherwise DMV will assume you paid no sales tax and will charge you for it! (how they got in the sales tax game I don't know...)
There were also a couple DMV forms to fill out. My dealer (Adventure Sports in Sacramento) explained in detail what I needed to do to make sure I would only have to go into DMV once.

It's quite a buraucratic process but once I had all my paperwork filled out and ready to go the time at the DMV wasn't too bad. Now I have registration and titles for the boats and their trailers.
It was a PITA but now I don't have to worry about overzealous rangers giving me tickets for sailing.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called the CA DMV and found their website is wrong. No Kayak is required to be registered unless there is a power drive. All "vessels" over 14' must register. A Kayak is not a vessel regardless of sale. It is in their manual but not the website. I plan to get a letter to carry for the water police. I am at Tahoe and have never seen a Kayak stopped. They are primarily interested in proximity to shore, speed in certain restricted areas, and safety.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's not what DMV told me. They said that if it is powered by a sail then it must be registered. If you don't use the sail then no problem and no stickers needed.
Several people on Folsom Lake have been ticketed for this. Folsom is part of the state park system and monitored by park rangers. Tahoe is also partly operated by the park system, at least many of the beaches are but I have never seen a state park boat on Tahoe like on Folsom.

Either way, surprise surprise, some sort of beauraucracy is responsible for the confusion. They are not even sure of the regulations themselves. Yet we are responsible for adhering to the rules anyway...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will follow you advice and register my Oasis. Even though I have heard the "sailboat vs sail assisted kayak" theory, I figure the cost of registering my boat is worth the peace of mind.

Now please to take this topic to another level. If I register my boat, will I need bow lights when pedaling or paddling at night?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a TI in CA. I called the DMV in Sacramento and got 3 different answers to the question. I then went to the local DMV and they registered my trailer but said my Kayak was not required to be registered regardless of power source, except motor, because it is not considered a vessel. I think I will switch it to NV next year as there is no debate there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't had any issues in my local yak spots, but I'm getting ready to travel up the California Coast, so i registered my boat with the DMV. I figured the $60 was a fair price for peace of mind.

Since my boat was new, I had to get a Certificate of Origin from my Hobie Dealer. Once I got that, I went to AAA to register my boat. however, my local AAA office said I could only register a new boat at the DMV office. So I went home, got on the Internet, and made my appointment. There was no way I was going to spend the day at the DMV.

Once at the DMV, they needed my application, bill of sale, certificate of origin, and cash or check. Although the whole process (obtaining Certificate of Origin to having my CF numbers/2015 stickers in hand and out the door) took me about a month, i was in and out of the DMV office in 20 minutes.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Longbikermike wrote:
I will follow you advice and register my Oasis. Even though I have heard the "sailboat vs sail assisted kayak" theory, I figure the cost of registering my boat is worth the peace of mind.

Now please to take this topic to another level. If I register my boat, will I need bow lights when pedaling or paddling at night?

Registration or not, you do not need the red/green lights, but you should have a white all around light, and if the sail is up, carry a good waterproof flashlight to shine on the sail when power boats are near. Makes you much more visible, assuming the boneheads are A: looking ahead and B: sober enough to be driving in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And as far as registration, up in Washington, my TI is registered, but the AI is not. Never did get harassed, but figured it was better to avoid the hassles. Numbers don't look all that bad.