Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to add a jib on my adventure Island. Has anyone found a jib that may work? In measuring, I came up with the approximate measurements so hoped to find a factory sail from a dingy or similar small boat.

Luff - 12 -13 ft, Foot - 5-6 ft, Leech - 10-12 ft.

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayakmike:
Quite a few people are using the Hobie kayak sail on their AI's. they also work on the TI but at only 22 sq ft the Hobie kayak is a little small on the TI.
From my experience on the TI's about 30 sq ft is about as large as you can go on the TI and if I had to guess about 25 sq ft on the AI. I have those PVC furlers on all of mine like everyone makes for the Hobie kayak sails.
A laser 2 jib is very close to your dims, and that's 30 sq ft, your AMA's probably don't have enough floatation to keep you from going over unless you hike out ( that's what I do). The TI's rudder is too small, but the AI rudder might just be ok (with the new up/down rudder). I highly recommend a rear stay line because the mast base is not strong enough in the front back direction to support a large jib.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have successfully used a jib from a Topper sailboat on both my Adventure and AI. It is a small sail (about 1.8 sqm) so it doesn't add a huge amount of drive on the AI (works wonders on the A in light winds though) but on the AI it really helps with tacking.

It is very easy on the AI to become stalled and 'caught in irons' during a tack, which can be a pain if you have pulled the drive and put the plug in for better sailing performance because then you can't just pedal through the tack. I have found that having even a small jib like mine is quite sufficient to help push the nose of the boat through the wind.

My sail is a 'blade' shaped sail - quite tall for its length if you get my meaning - this shape is very suitable to setting inboard of the nose of the boat and I set up a padeye between the bow and the hatch opening to attach the tack of the sail to, an arrangement that worked very well.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayakmike:
Here is a thread on my boat (the ultimate tandem island), it's kind of long but hopefully you can glean some information from it that might help you. ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720&start=60 )
The AI and TI have many common parts and mainly the only difference is the TI is a little bigger and has an extra seat.
Most of my mods were done because we typically only have light winds in this area ten months of the year, and I don't know about anyone else but it is just plain boring trying to sail a TI in 5mph winds. Most of the guys in Hawaii and Australia, and the Islands have much better winds, and have no need for any extra sails. In my experience if your average winds are 12-18 mph, just the mainsail alone is almost too much sail for an Island and typically needs to be furled in some.
In my experience adding a jib only adds a couple mph to your top speed typically, but does allow you to sail much closer to the wind, (and faster upwind). I don't know if you noticed it but you may have discovered that it is fairly difficult to tack an AI or TI without an assist from your mirage drives, as they tend to be able to sail around 45 degrees up wind (closer if your pedaling), and getting around to the other tack can be quite tricky without going into irons. The jib changes all that, with my current setup, I can easily sail upwind 20-25 degrees off the wind, in 9-10 mph winds at around 7mph (measured by GPS). My TI tends to want to round up into the wind, so I typically need to pedal lightly to maintain that tack though, otherwise I round up and stop. Probably something to do with the wing jib which is a little different design than a normal jib sails and works on different principles I guess.
Hope this helps you
Bob