Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I just bought a micro cam cleat, along with two small pulleys and a 20 ft main sheet, as recommended by some folks on this forum. I don't want to rig anything elaborate. Where is the best place to mount the cam cleat? I want it somewhere on the right side, since I have an anchor trolley on the left side.
I just want to use it to hold the sheet so I don't have to hold it in hand all the time.

Also: I can tie the rear pulley to the padeye at the rear, but how do I mount the side pulley which take the sheet to the cleat?
thanks!

(I don't mind putting more hole in my yak!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just put a harken 290 (I think that's the right number) into the metal pad eye at the rear where the rudder is. The sheet goes right through it and doesn't get in the way of anything.

Then I ran the sheet around another one just forward of the starboard mesh pocket, up on the gunwale. I tie the sheet to the seat strap when I don't want to hold it, but you could mount your clamcleat anywhere along the seat area gunwale that seems comfortable for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my Adventure I tie the blocks to any available fitting.

The rear one is tied to the carrying handle padeye.

For the front one I think there's a fitting inside the cockpit on the RHS in front of the seat (plastic Hobie padeye) but I can't remember for sure. If there's not one there then I would fit one of my own - to the inside wall of the cockpit (better than on top of the gunwales of the boat IMO) somewhere forward of the mesh pocket and at about the same level as the pocket...

...that's because I have then mounted a cleat inside the pocket - again to the vertical wall of the pocket. I have done it so that the mesh can cover the cleat (no accidental hangups of cordage) or be pulled down off the cleat to expose it with the elastic edge of the mesh hooked under the cleat so that it doesn't slip back accidentally. That way the cleat is there whan you want it and covered when you don't...

...however the cleats I use are CLAMcleats not CAM cleats. They are an excellent product and much less bulky than an equivalent clam cleat with no moving parts. There are various models, sizes and accessories (some very cunning) which will allow you to find one that is perfectly matched to your intended use and cordage. In my sheet cleat installation I use a shim to align the cleat to the direction of the rope as it leads into the cleat. Another worthwhile accessory in some situations is their 'keeper' accessory which helps keep the rope in place but allows it to be quickly locked down when needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!
Stobbo, interesting idea to mount the cleat inside the pocket. And my Revo does have the padeyes you talk about - I'll experiment with that one.

Do you have a link to the CLAM cleats & accessories you mentioned?

ALso, I'm trying to find some of the older posts which have photos - to get ideas on rigging. If you have links to those as well, that would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.clamcleat.com/

The ones I use are the "open" ones in their product list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been very happy with this placement of the cam cleat in the cup holder position. This hopefully links you to a post with photos. viewtopic.php?t=7065&highlight=improved+rigging