Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revo sailing ??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Someone with the model kayak with sail Revolution can tell me the features in the navigation mode to sail?.
I want to know if r? Ask the wind, which picks up speed with different winds, whether slow or fast, I have understood that it is much slower sailing adventure sailing the island model.
? Like going in light winds? That speed m? Nima wind is needed to sail with the model Revolution?.
? What is the wind speed m? Maximum to which it is advisable not to sail with the sail of the Revolution?
Finally all the data you can provide me be me? An? Tiles.
Seg? N my c? Calculations, the length of the dinghy? M n speed? Maximum you can? Surfing be? A: 4.8 knots is about 9.6 km / h
? Has anyone sailed Revolution him to sail with more speed?
Thank you for your interest? S.
a greeting
Rebol13

Post subject: Re: Revo sailing ??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Rebol,
you need to ask your question in your native language! I am afraid it is very difficult to understand what you want to know from what you have written!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hola: escribo mi pregunta en Español ya que la traducción al inglés no se entiende:
Alguien que tenga el modelo de kayak Revolution con vela puede decirme las caracteristicas en el modo de navegacion con vela?.
Quiero saber si es rápido con el viento, que velocidad coge con diferentes vientos, si es lento o rapido, tengo entendido que es mucho mas lento navegando con vela que el modelo adventure island.
¿ Como va con vientos flojos?, que velocidad mínima de viento se necesita para poder navegar a vela con el modelo Revolution?.
¿Cual es la velocidad de viento máxima a la que se hace recomendable no navegar con la vela del Revolution?
En fin todos los datos que me puedan aportar me serían útiles.
Según mis cálculos, por la longitud de la embarcación la velocidad máxima que podría navegar sería: 4,8 nudos es decir aproximadamente 9,6 km/h
¿Alguien ha navegado a vela con le Revolution a mas velocidad?
Gracias por su interés.
Un saludo
Rebol13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a sail for my revo, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can give you more insight but the best I can do right now is translate....

"Hello, I am writing my question out in Spanish because my English translation was difficult to understand.

Can someone who has a revo with a sail let me know how it handles with a sail?

I want to find out if it is quick when propelled by wind and how fast can it go with different wind speeds; I have heard that when sailing its much slower than a adventure island.

How does it perform in low wind conditions? What is the minimum wind speed needed to sail on a revo?

What is the highest wind speed that you would recommend sailing a revo in?

Any info I can get would be useful.

From my calculations 4.8 knots is the fastest it should go. Has anyone sailed a revo any faster than this?

Thanks for the help,

sincerely,

Rebol13"

Rebol13 wrote:
Hola: escribo mi pregunta en Español ya que la traducción al inglés no se entiende:
Alguien que tenga el modelo de kayak Revolution con vela puede decirme las caracteristicas en el modo de navegacion con vela?.
Quiero saber si es rápido con el viento, que velocidad coge con diferentes vientos, si es lento o rapido, tengo entendido que es mucho mas lento navegando con vela que el modelo adventure island.
¿ Como va con vientos flojos?, que velocidad mínima de viento se necesita para poder navegar a vela con el modelo Revolution?.
¿Cual es la velocidad de viento máxima a la que se hace recomendable no navegar con la vela del Revolution?
En fin todos los datos que me puedan aportar me serían útiles.
Según mis cálculos, por la longitud de la embarcación la velocidad máxima que podría navegar sería: 4,8 nudos es decir aproximadamente 9,6 km/h
¿Alguien ha navegado a vela con le Revolution a mas velocidad?
Gracias por su interés.
Un saludo
Rebol13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Rebol,

Now I understand what you have been asking I can have a go at helping you and hopefully others with better information to communication will also reply.

I haven't sailed the Revo but I have sailed the Outback, Adventure, and Outfitter... and the Adventure Island too though this is a bit different from sailing a kayak like the Revolution.

On a kayak you are very much more at the mercy of wind and waves than if you were sailing a bigger boat. You can only go out in relatively light winds (from almost flat calm to somewhere around Beaufort Force 4, I think).

The boat speed you will achieve will not compare to a racing yacht but for a tiny sailboat it is not too bad and can be comparable with "normal" paddling speed in the right conditions (obviously sailing speed is restricted by the wind speed and direction of travel relative to the wind).

I do not believe that the Revo will be noticeably slower than the Adventure down wind and accross the wind - everyone says it is almost as fast to pedal so it should likewise be fairly close in terms of sailing speed. Upwind, however, the Adventure will be faster if it is equipped with the optional daggerboard which makes it much better at traveling into the wind than any of the other non-daggerboard kayaks, including the Revo).

I have sailed my Adventure at speeds peaking at 7 knots over the ground (measured by GPS and very definitely with favourable wind, tide and direction of travel) - my maximum boat-speed through the water is more difficult to calculate - same for the "normal" boat speed. I guess that my "normal" sailing speed would be 2-4 knots: below 2 and I will think about putting the sail away to pedal instead, and above 4 knots the sailing can start to get a bit scary because to achieve these speeds the wind has to be stronger with a greater risk of capsize.

I love sailing my kayaks and my advice to anyone who is interested in giving it a go would be: "if you have regular access to ideal sailing conditions (i.e. light-ish winds, favourable direction, relatively flat water) at the places where you normally pedal your kayak, give it a go - it is great fun !"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree very much with stobbo's post. I have had my Hobie sail rig for 3.5 years now and used it heavily on my Sport, Outfitter and (for the last two months) on my new Revo.

The sail works well in approx 4-11 kts of wind. Within that range, the sail will add an extra 0.2-0.5 kts while pedaling depending on how hard you are pedaling and wind speed/direction. At lower wind speeds, the sail really does not add anything but it still looks good! As the winds reach the 10-12 kt range the mast starts to bend away which depowers the sail but also causes it to loose shape. At wind speeds above 12kts your ability to keep the boat upright will depend on how good you are at shifting your weight and controlling the sheet.

When sailing only (no pedalling) in 12 kts of wind, you will see ~2.5kts boat speed going to windward. Although the sail has a good windward shape the boat makes significant leeway due to the lack of a centerboard. The result is a course over ground that will be in excess of 60 degrees off the wind. Pedalling will increase the boat speed but actually results is greater leeway. Sailing on a reach or broad reach in 12 kts wind will result in a boat speed around 4 kts. The boomless sail does not hold a good shape dead down wind so you will be a littlle slower.

The above comments are good for the Sport, Outfitter and Revo. The Revo is a little faster but also more tender than the other two.

About ten days ago I had my first chance to sail the Revo in higher winds (15kts gusting to 20+) as hurricane Irene was off the coast. Without a doubt, I would have been swimming a couple of times without the Sidekick amas. Upwind, boatspeeds were actually a little lower and leeway was higher then 12 kts wind due to the drag from the amas. Downwind, I saw 5.5kts on the GPS in a big gust.